The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

300hp 96 GSX Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyogie12

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 14, 2010
Boulder, Colorado
So i've been meaning to put up a build thread for a while and finally got around to it.

I picked up a 1996 Eclipse GS-X from the second owner for $1450 about 90 days ago. It was originally the Celtic Blue Pearl paint code, but some time in the Colorado sun has turned it into a more purple/blue. Something I wasn't too stoked on when I first saw the car, but I couldn't pass up on the price and the color has grown on me :)

The whole car was BONE stock which I love and came with a fresh set of Continental DWS Extreme Contact tires. It does have 173000 miles on it, but i'm not new to the DSM scene and not afraid to get into the motor if I have to.

Either way it's up on blocks right now. The T25 was blown (it was the original from the factory in 95) so i'm putting on a freshly rebuilt 14b, VRSF FMIC, 1g BOV, Porting Exhaust Manifold. I tossed on some Brembo Blanks with EBC Redstuff pads and SS brake lines.

I've already done a large tune up a few months back when I got the car. But as of now i'm just slowly chipping away at the upgrades for my DD. More updates to come later when I can post pictures of what's going on with the build.

TFjDeBgu7JOfe210Yi1L0E9b2uNK0iwWixHwfMSyYIw=w338-h189-p-no.jpg

YJ6dMiTYyK1i9IvSW2ug26zLIqxueSEPa3iKmrO5NhA=w337-h189-p-no.jpg

One of the first things I did was paint up those stock swirly's. They were the factory gray with quite a bit of brake dust burnt on, and just in overall poor shape.

Pre-Paint
ORZQ_j275OL2Z0zXbBNIhZ2LdPGilgxFDNcrLhjnVgw=w337-h189-p-no.jpg

Sanded down and taped off
zG7QwrP3toiPIX-7YgQ_-w2y5DPq7i3OisAKxEGWWFQ=w338-h189-p-no.jpg

Primer for days!
tjdglQ2gTb_rMB3BDddy7quv2qOaDvO7LHwzNo8nsKY=w337-h189-p-no.jpg

Little glossy black. Much better.
ffHy_B5h-QMgN3ob4exkqI-wCatFbzrO3MXwmIM4e_8=w337-h189-p-no.jpg

Final Product
aFMyBLsE4rlfDxY3H95gy1_d9nlFFFBuCwjNzzgwLyo=w337-h189-p-no.jpg

Taking that bumper off
mjqKa2Rb1mmGMf2sn3QqOC8qF9dpRL72eFmRIOwhEnw=w337-h189-p-no.jpg

Kind of a bad picture, but the stock IC pipes were COATED in oil. The T25 was dead.
SNtGan31Rf8JNy637gWDdBFJIPQjKnIUba7gtQHN5Pw=w407-h228-p-no.png

VRSF FMIC vs Stock Sidemount
2eS2cUH1KFxGKI9u4WJ8uFmI5p2I9m5Zeg0vGT06y7c=w337-h189-p-no.jpg

Middle of turbo pull. I painted my VC a while back when I did my tune up.
7Jbme2sGgXojtKQuZEI-Jwy1-HgBN4YigqZtetAbETo=w338-h189-p-no.jpg

Got the FMIC back from my welder yesterday. He moved one of the outlet pipes to the side (core for a 1g originally). And here's the loose fitment.
9aoluXfwY7uztn5QeJxL4J3QJKWj5QhpQKbJ_sp_Utg=w369-h207-p-no.jpg

Last edited:
QUIT COPING ME!!!! nah just playing i got swirlys also i got them off a guy for 50 bucks plus the lo pro tires which i thought was a good deal but i painted mine black just couldnt stand the silver with my white color.
i like that color
and goodluck on the turbo maybe when you get it fixed i drive up there and we can ride

QUIT COPING ME!!!! nah just playing i got swirlys also i got them off a guy for 50 bucks plus the lo pro tires which i thought was a good deal but i painted mine black just couldnt stand the silver with my white color.
i like that color
and goodluck on the turbo maybe when you get it fixed i drive up there and we can ride

Haha nice man. The tires that were on there have 500 miles on em so I didn't wanna buy new rims and then new tires again. Hit me up when you wanna!

Can't wait to see what happens next. Just got a gsx myself and man is it a project.

Haha I won't. I have a bad habit of selling cars every 4-6 months or so. But this one has intrigued my interested. In the process of fabbing the piping, installing turbo and such. Will update pictures later this week!

Update on the build. Got the turbo installed and piping outlined. I need to cut the length of the SS oil return line.

Sadly my build has been put on hold to rebuild my roommates 98 GSX. 16g, 750cc, 3" Turbo-Back, DSM Link, Fuel Lab AFPR, Wally 255, and a fresh motor. Gonna throw down some power on his.

What's up guys i got a buddy selling a 97 gsx if None is interested Im Im fl. its pretty clean pm me if intrrested and what kind of tuning have you done and what injectors are you going with?

nice car! That is a very rare color, for sure! If you don't want it anymore, lmk! LOL!

Haha for sure bud! This is the one car i've wanted to keep in the past two years. It's quite bizarre to have the same one in my driveway for this long.

What's up guys i got a buddy selling a 97 gsx if None is interested Im Im fl. its pretty clean pm me if intrrested and what kind of tuning have you done and what injectors are you going with?

On mine (the purple one) I am gonna put DSM Link in. Haven't yet due to cash concerns and still have the stock 450cc injectors and stock fuel pump. I was thinking about putting in 650 or 750s, depending what I can find. Gonna do fuellab AFPR, Wally 255 and rewire when I relocate the battery.

I spent the cash I had at the time (during the flood here in Boulder) on the FMIC, Piping, New BOV, New Turbo, Die Grinder, New Welder, Wideband o2 and a few other gaskets and knick knacks. It's a long haul build.

The car was running so rich that it failed emissions, and that's what inspired this build to start with. I'm gonna get it running right before I start pumping parts into it. I also have an AEM Uego Wideband i'm gonna install.

Last edited:
damn that sucks

my opinion i wood do the afpr last or when you really start cranking out boost and hp. im hoping to be in the mid to high 300 hp range and. wally 255 upgraded the fuel lines not all of them just the ones past the stock fpr. get 750 or 880 there both good. thats where im at im going openport instead of link. there both just as good and link is more user friendly but tactrix is 200$ cheaper and just as tunable to the v3 lite.
i literraly just installed my eugo yesterday and am talking to snowborder about the different readings im getting from it LOL

since im running a stock ecu its gonna run rich as shit until tuned and lean when your cruising. its weird but i litterally have every thing i need to tune except the black box ecu.

Last edited:
damn that sucks

my opinion i wood do the afpr last or when you really start cranking out boost and hp. im hoping to be in the mid to high 300 hp range and. wally 255 upgraded the fuel lines not all of them just the ones past the stock fpr. get 750 or 880 there both good. thats where im at im going openport instead of link. there both just as good and link is more user friendly but tactrix is 200$ cheaper and just as tunable to the v3 lite.
i literraly just installed my eugo yesterday and am talking to snowborder about the different readings im getting from it LOL

since im running a stock ecu its gonna run rich as shit until tuned and lean when your cruising. its weird but i litterally have every thing i need to tune except the black box ecu.

I'm gonna do the afpr when I put in the 255. It'll overpump the stock frp. It was running rich due to a few boost leaks plus a bad bov leaking out. Ontop of that the T25 was blowing oil through the motor in wonderful clouds of blue.

What turbo are you running?

Lmao dam i have a 20g and all bolt ons and i can't go past 10 pounds without it cutting out hard and it won't even go past 4500 on wot since its not tuned. i been babying it and breaking in new motor. I know alot of guys down here with 4-600 hp cars still using stock fpr LOL as long as its tuned right i won't really need one until i make all my gas lines bigger. i might get one anyways they have em on ebay with areo internals for 80-100 bucks!!!!

Lmao dam i have a 20g and all bolt ons and i can't go past 10 pounds without it cutting out hard and it won't even go past 4500 on wot since its not tuned. i been babying it and breaking in new motor. I know alot of guys down here with 4-600 hp cars still using stock fpr LOL as long as its tuned right i won't really need one until i make all my gas lines bigger. i might get one anyways they have em on ebay with areo internals for 80-100 bucks!!!!

I've seen too many (personally and on this forum) cars with 255s that overloaded the stock FPR. Even with tunes.

I'm a bit sad at this point I went with the ported 14b, I can already tell i'll be wanting a bigger turbo soon. But this is also my DD and winter here in Colorado is almost upon us.

580611_10151833106269891_1862857094_n.jpg

8688_10151833106009891_554807630_n.jpg

558029_10151833105904891_144663392_n.jpg

1457632_10151833106554891_1942929744_n.jpg

Update! I forgot to take more pictures when I was finishing up the build for now. I was in a semi-rush so I could get emissions done and plates on a Friday. I ended up replacing the intake manifold gasket, tb gaskets, biss screw and injector orings while I had it up on blocks. They were all the source of a few leaks that are now taken care of. Also cleaned the SNOT out of the intake manifold and EGR vavle. Sucker was coated in nastyness.

Bridget is running like a dream. NO CEL, perfect idle, no smoke, passed emissions with flying colors. Holding 16psi on the ported 14b.

I've been driving a WRX for the past month while this has been up on blocks and it feels too damned good to be back in a DSM. I took it for a late night drive up the mountains last night and it started snowing halfway up the canyon. I love the DWS tires I have on there, but once that road was ice there was little holding me on the road....AWD or not.

Last edited:
Nice reading your posts. Brings back memories. Mine is still a work in progress.

Aren't they always though? There's still quite a lot i'd like to get done to her. But thanks! It's projects like these that keep me sane through school. One of the big reasons i'm getting that degree. So I can fund silly things like this!

Aren't they always though? There's still quite a lot i'd like to get done to her. But thanks! It's projects like these that keep me sane through school. One of the big reasons i'm getting that degree. So I can fund silly things like this!

Yeah, finish that degree! Good plan. My degree's have been funding my toy(s)!

It's hard some days though that's for sure. If i'm sitting in a class discussing some obscure theory that pertains to social action I usually find myself on this site looking around at other peoples builds hah.

I also do auto repair on the side to pay for tuition and rent (parents don't have any money to help out) and I seem to be enjoying that work a lot more than papers this year. The thing is (and no offense to anyone) I just don't want to be 30-35 years old with a broken down body and still working as a mechanic for other people.

It's hard some days though that's for sure. If i'm sitting in a class discussing some obscure theory that pertains to social action I usually find myself on this site looking around at other peoples builds hah.

I also do auto repair on the side to pay for tuition and rent (parents don't have any money to help out) and I seem to be enjoying that work a lot more than papers this year. The thing is (and no offense to anyone) I just don't want to be 30-35 years old with a broken down body and still working as a mechanic for other people.

Making money on the side in college is always good. (No offense) not paying attention in class is a good way to keep the mechanic job LOL. Class isn't that bad I got 7 and i work 40 hours a week.

Making money on the side in college is always good. (No offense) not paying attention in class is a good way to keep the mechanic job LOL. Class isn't that bad I got 7 and i work 40 hours a week.

Haha I know. It's just been the worst semester so far. We had that big flood here in Boulder and I was displaced for about a month and a half. Kinda screwed everything up.

Thanks for the love though guys. The 2ga has grown on me. My first car was a 98 GST in cherry red and I thought i'd never learn to love the 2ga as much as the 2gb front. But with the FMIC I think i've finally switched over.

Also I have more pics on my business page of this build, my roommates red GSX build, a civic build and an old black 95 GST build I had. Feel free to like the page too :p

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robs-Local-Auto-Repair/718650448151316

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back