The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

3000gt/Stealth eh??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremoose

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 28, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta_Canada
Hey guys, I just got a new, better job and I'm definitely looking to go to something faster. You see, I want a faster car (which my talon could very well be, but I'm a little bit iffy on modding it), but I don't want to mod because of the reduced reliability. My brother used to have a Stealth TT and I remember it to be pretty blazin' fast stock. I have, however, heard a lot of people saying that trading in a DSM for a Stealth/3000gt is basically making a lateral movement reliability-wise. So my question is: if left unmodded and taken care of, will a stealth tt make a good daily driver? Thanks.

P.S. Feel free to just leave any general comments on your experiences with Stealths/3000gt for daily-driving.

Had a 92 daily driver TT/AWD Stealth. It looked, drove, and sounded great. At 4500 pounds it was no match for my Talon or my Laser when they only had minimum mods. Working on it was a pain, just to change the plugs you have to remove the entire intake. Then I started to have electrical problems and it was all down hill from there. I knew a guy in LA that started a company building 3000-GT's and Stealth's hoping the cars would make a come back. After 3-years he went out of business...

Greg

Alright, good to know. But are they going to be any less reliable than a DSM?

if you do a search you'd find another thread just liek this, might be kind of hard to find though.. my father has a 3000GT VR4 it has around 400hp as of right now, the owner before has a dyno sheet from the car boasting 600hp. the only things that have went wrong are: the transfer case blowing up, and a bad lifter. DSMs are only unreliable because people make them fast, the more you modify a car, the less reliable it is. A stcok dsm wont give you problems. Neither will a 3/S. For simple boltons and upgarding the turbos(13G's) and injectors, and exhaust and safc the car will not give you any problems, but when you start to go above that, thats when you start to gamble. My dad has a set of GTPROxx turbos on his car at stock boost right now and the car has been fine.

basically id reccomend the car if you want something quick and something with some more class, but if you want a car for all out power stick with a DSM.

No matter what stuff breaks even if you don't mod the car. The thing is regular maintenance is going to be much more expensive on a twin turbo 6 cyl than a single turbo 4 cyl.

hes right. EVERYTHING will be more expensive. The transmission is German, there is no DSMLink type system for it other then the AEM EMS, two turbos two more wires and plugs, the car is alot heavier though, in a good way, how i like to see it, if you hit something going 60 you might be able to get up and walk away from the accident. but basically the DSM and 3/S cars have the same following, the after market is just as big as the DSM, you just have to look in the right spots, make an account on 3si.org or stealth316 and just read other experences. :sneaky: you'll be happy either way..

as a daily driver, why not just get a non turbo, thats my dads daily driver, VERY Reliable, has never had any problems and is very quick for 222hp, plus it still has the exotic look and great handling.

Out of the 5 people i know with 3000gts/stealths all of them have had problems.
On mine the trans wont fix, under a year warranty and has been back to the shop at least 5 times. One of my friends who also has a 3000gt got the trans fixed by the same people but hasn't returned to the shop. But he also had to pay about $1000 for electrical problems. Another guy i know with a stealth blew the head on it (on an unmodded automatic). The other 2 owners of 3k/stealths both have to get new ecus and electrical. But some people with em don't have any problems. Me personally, I hate my 3000gt. If your gonna get a car that breaks a lot at least make it a eclipse/talon where the parts are cheap. Your gonna pay an arm and a leg trying to restore your car back to stock when something goes wrong. 3000gt is a :nono: in my book

a little off topic but i think a good daily driver would be a g35/350z......They're fairly fast stock and seem to be reliable as well, good combination if you ask me.

Thanks for all the responses. I was consider getting the non-turbo version with 220hp as well, but look at my location :cry: I need AWD...

I think I'm definitely going to look into one though, I found a '95 Stealth TT with 56,000km's on it OMG If I'm really impressed with how it drives I'll pick it up, otherwise I'll stick with the DSM. Thanks all :thumb:

Demagosos said:
a little off topic but i think a good daily driver would be a g35/350z......They're fairly fast stock and seem to be reliable as well, good combination if you ask me.

*rubs fingers together* They're a little out of my price-range sadly.. :(

having had a 3000GT NA as my first car, I LOVE THEM :thumb: a zurich white vr4 is my dream car :)

anyway, go to 3si.org and do research there. you'll get a lot more personal opinions about them. btw, the vr4 is only 3800 lbs, and the nonturbo is 3150 [base model, 2g] and the SL is right around 3250. so they're not that heavy.

I say go for it :thumb: oh, and sell me your 95 AWD

hahahah, my car only has 70,000 km's on it... :D I'm gonna want a mint for it :)

BTW, if I were to get a non-turbo one, I'd be keeping my talon :thumb: :thumb: So that's an option too.

They have problems that are common in DSMs...On my brothers 92 VR-4, the capacitors on the ECU were leaking causing it not to fire up. Got that replaced and I believe the IAC and the Knock Sensor needs to be replaced because it would idle like crap until it was warmed up. It didn't pull all that well with a MBC, Intake, 3" Downpipe, Greddy Type-S BOV...but I don't have a logger for OBDI, so I could never check it.

Other than that I love the car...it sounded really nice and looks incredible too. It was Red, we lowered it and painted the stockers black and it had a nice stance. There was a video of me racing it against my friends GSX, the exhaust sounded mean with just a 3" downpipe and stock catback. It's not a great video and I got a shitty launch (1st time launching it) bogging it after I rolled a few feet but if you want to see it, I have it on my hd if someone is willing to host it...only 1.44mb

Thanks for all the responses. I was consider getting the non-turbo version with 220hp as well, but look at my location I need AWD...
They made a stealth r/t that is awd and naturally aspirated.

I was going to buy a 93 vr4. I'm glad I bought the 99 GST, but sad I couldn't find a 99 GSX LOL Keep the dsm and slap a evoIII or something on it :thumb:

Unless they is just an aftermarket company, or tuner... I don't believe that
Ignore the first post I misunderstood what jeremoose was saying and meant to put a question mark at the end of my post :coy: It was late.

Every car is unreliable in everyone's opinions... haha I have a love hate relationship with my DSM and i have the best luck out of all my friends. I.E. 3 trannies on one friend, rod knock 3x on another friend, startings of crankwalk on another one 93. ^^;; so can we really say that a DSM is more reliable than any other car? But I have had mostly maintenance issues. :)

I have had my 3000GT VR4 for about 6 months now... the starter shit the bed... but that is a maintenance thing... yeah everything is harder to do and many of my friends abandoned me as a lost cause. :) but I love the little red guy... she is just a beauty. I had no probs besides that. So long live the VR4.. oh btw my car has 200k miles on it. ^^;; so there shows u reliability. BTW Shep now does 3000GT Trannies look on his website so YEAH!!!

Here's my 3/S story.
I picked up my red non-turbo 3000GT in January. It had 98k miles and cost me right around 6000. Even though I had to replace the tires and a blown clutch in the first week, I loved the thing. Later after I had to replace the plugs, wires, and front ball joints.
Then when I was cruising around one day normally (65 mph in 5th), BANG, there goes my motor for no apparent reason. I got a low mileage complete engine swapped in (15000 miles, $2000), and after some bugs got worked out it ran great, pulled very hard. For about 2000 miles. Then I turn a corner one day and this terrible sputtering starts. It wouldn't go away after replacing the plugs and wires. Then I was driving it and this noise starts coming from the engine bay. It is either lifter tick or a rod knocking.
Where is it now do you ask?
Sitting in my driveway, where it has spent alot of its time with me. You can't beat the styling for the price. I'll miss the looks I got from people in that thing. I got a thumbs up from a guy in a Ferrari 360. :cool: But in the end it just wasn't worth it to me. Now I just want someone to take the damn thing off my hands. Was it a big waste of time/money? Yes. Will I ever buy one again? Doubtful.

Meanwhile I am enjoying my Black TSi AWD. It's alot more fun to drive and is right about equal performance-wise.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back