1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G 300-400bhp

Posted by Brandonjffrs96, Jan 13, 2020

Please Support Feal Suspension
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. Brandonjffrs96

Brandonjffrs96 Proven Member

Joined Nov 2, 2019
    Bronson, Michigan
    I know there’s info all over the web about these cars especially on this site but I would like advice/feedback from others directed towards me. I recently bought a 97 and a half (98) eclipse gsx with 73k original miles with barley any rust. My current goal is to fix what little rust there is and maybe do some upgrades. Not saying that the car is a unicorn but considering it’s a Michigan car that’s basically all stock rust free and has less than 75k miles it kind of is a unicorn. At least to me. Should I leave the car the way it is? Since it is a fun car at the end of the day. Or should I do some upgrades to get close to that 400bhp range? (Nothing too crazy) No link atm but I am looking around for one. It does have a wideband (needs the sensor installed) oil pressure and boost gage. I am currently at 16Ibs on the stock 14b with a boost regulator. Rear posi as well but that’s all I really know about the car. If anyone thinks it’s worth putting some decent parts in without affecting the reliability of the car please tell me your suggestions and or feedback. I’d like to run e85 and at the very least with a 20g. If I do end up dropping some money into it. Money is not an issue but I’m not interested in anything over 500 to the crank. Ps the afr is actually reading 14:8 not 4:8. The 1 doesn’t show on camera.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020

Street Build 107  5

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 300  8

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. Bleakley

Bleakley Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2017
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I guess you took a step in the right direction coming here. Enjoy the car and learning man. Ups and downs await. :)

My advice, being a few years with the DSM’s:
    *The racing community here has —>S E R I O U S <— depth.
    I would tastefully mod, but not go overboard. Most the DSM’s do not come with the RWD tax. Your rate of return is MUCH lower. Outside of really getting into racing, and outside of being a diehard DSM’er, I would tread lighter on dumping money into the car.
    Alas, the world’s your oyster though man.

Street Build 1K  1

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
    fwd · automatic · 2G DSM
    Brandonjffrs96 likes this.
  3. Vegas Smith

Vegas Smith Previously Vegas smith

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Never leave these cars stock. They’re way too much fun modded.

20g/hta68/hx35
    FIC hi-z 1100 injectors
    Walbro 450
    Fuelab afpr
    3 turbo back
    Fmic kit
    South bend clutch
    Ecmlink
    Optional-speed density, cams, intake manifold

Street Build 4K  8

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    streetraceboi and Brandonjffrs96 like this.
  4. llxkevinxll

llxkevinxll Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2012
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Before anything I would do all the regular maintenance. Timing belt if you don't know exactly when it was last done, fluid change for the engine and driveline, worn bushings and mounts tc etc. Then mod 1, in my mind, is ecmlink. Everything after that will be made so much easier.

Good luck man. This forum is full of information for you and be sure to post specific questions you can't find the answers to as there are more than a few DSM experts to help you out.

89  1

1997 Chevy S-10
    rwd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

Autocross Build 3K  4

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    11.90 @ 124.05 · 2G DSM

Street Build 1K  1

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
  5. Evolving_sti

Evolving_sti Proven Member

Joined Apr 28, 2019
    DANBURY, Connecticut
    Maintenance is #1. New plugs, wires , all new fluids , timing belt/ water pump, fresh oil and filter. I wouldn't push more than 300 whp on these motors without some sort of bottom end build.

571  6

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    320 whp · 315 lb/ft · 2G DSM
    Brandonjffrs96 and Sean Kay like this.
  6. LSM

LSM Proven Member

Joined Mar 25, 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Just FYI, I do have a DSM link that I will be selling soon. As far as I know it's the latest version, fully updated, everything.....I only drove the car a few times before taking it to a friends shop to be rebuilt how I want it so I'll just have to double check and make sure it's the latest version. I decided to go with a stand alone system so I won't be needing it anymore. I've also got some other parts that I decided to replace/upgrade like a GX35 turbo in good condition, only I'm not sure if I'm gonna sell that quite yet cause I'm considering putting it on my 2016 Tundra TRD Pro along with the intercooler, but I've got a tubular exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe and catback......one of the two is a Greddy, I can't remember which one. I've got a few other things too.....just can't think of them off the top of my head right now.....I've got way too much crap going on and I can hardly think straight haha! My friend who's building the car for the most part knows a lot more than I do, or I should say than I can remember, but if you're interested in anything just let me know! It's all already sellable, I just haven't had the time to go through the parts and take stock of everything I have for sale and post them. It will happen eventually! But like I said, if you're interested in anything, let me know and I'll see what it's going for and give you a slightly better than fair price!

143  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  7. Sam's GSX

Sam's GSX Proven Member

Joined Jun 10, 2018
    Hohenwald, Tennessee
    I like everything Vegas Smith said, the pump and injectors are bigger than i run, but you did say e85 so that sounds perfect, I would recommend ARP head studs, they are cheap, very easy to install if you do them one at a time, and give you a piece of mind, I feel my head gasket would have already gone without them.
    I just hit close to 400 (378) a couple months ago, and I'm very happy with it, it took about 2 years of fixing it then modding/tuning with link, and around 12k including the cost of the car, (but probably 40% of that was not towards power)
    But the busted knuckles were definitely worth it, these cars are awesome!!!

Street Build 435  3

awd · manual · 2G DSM
  8. Brandonjffrs96

Brandonjffrs96 Proven Member

Joined Nov 2, 2019
    Bronson, Michigan
    Well I’m definitely interested in a link but I’d also consider some other things. Just pm me or send me a web link to the items. Thank you

Street Build 107  5

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM

Road Race Build 300  8

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  9. LSM

LSM Proven Member

Joined Mar 25, 2018
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Ok cool, just give me a few days to get a list of everything together and also think of fair prices and then I'll send you a PM or a link if I get the parts posted. I've got a ridiculous amount of things going on but I'll try to get this stuff done fairly soon!

143  1

awd · manual · 2G DSM