The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

3 teens killed in street drag race in Miami

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaveeDSM

Supporting VIP
Dec 22, 2008
Miami, Florida
Three teens die in apparent drag-racing crash - Doral - MiamiHerald.com

Two dead girls, 17 and 15 years old and a boy 17 - all killed in a stupid and dangerous street race.

The driver - 19 years old - survived unhurt. Prior to this he already had racked up 16 traffic offenses and is now facing 3 counts of vehicular manslaughter.

Four lives erased and their families destroyed in an instant of irresponsible stupidity.

Last edited:
"The driver survived unhurt"

That's almost always the case....

That's why I get pissed when some old high school acquaintances (honda drivers of course) say that racing at the track is for pvssies and say that street racing gives them a bigger thrill :notgood:

Showed up in his d15b7 civic. I wouldn't completely blame him. Everyone races when there young, and does dumb stuff. He just had bad judgement, as his car is probaly 15 years older then the infinity, and was on a teen budget had bald tires, you know the civic usual. Still stupid. Running away was even dumber. Sad story. But you know everybody was wanting him to race.

This is why you take it to the track people. It may not happen to you. On that day. But if you support and/or engage in street your just as guilty in my eyes. 3 People dead. 1 kid likely to spend his youth locked up. Never to get a decent job due to a criminal record. Countless family members devastated.

Oh and the guy that lived? 19 years old, and had 16 traffic offenses. He had made enough mistakes to learn from them. I hope he rots in jail this time.

Yeah I raced when I was younger. I raced at the track. I was guilty of plenty 20-30 rolls. But it was allways in a straight, allways to the speed limits. No laws were broken. 30-70 on the interstate is not unsafe unless your vehicle is totally unsafe to be on the road.

This is sad. But i'm wondering how many people talking have room to talk? Everyone has fun and does dumb stuff. Some people just get lucky and don't run into these problems. These younger generations (like me) are out of control with alot more daring ideas. What he did was wrong yes. What he did is also completely understandable IMO. Do I think he should be locked up? Yes. For more than 5 years? No.

I have spent "long" periods of time in jail, and I know how long it takes to learn a lesson. I've seen countless people in and out of prison/jail and from my perspective if they're going to learn a lesson they will do so in the first year, and if they're not going to learn a lesson then they can be locked up for 30 years and come out and do the same thing.

There really is no good way of handling these kinds of situations from anyone's point of view. Happy medium's are tossed out and it's up to chance to see who gets their way...

I was thinking to myself "we have all made a dumb decision in our lives, it's just unfortunate that it happened to these kids" and then I read the driver has SIXTEEN driving violations (among those being driving with no license and driving with a suspended license) and is 19 (not 16 just getting his license). This wasn't a simple laps of judgment, it is irresponsibility on the drivers part that appears to be a recurring theme.

I thoughts go out to the families of the other 3 passengers and hope they find peace. I hope the driver gets the maximum punishment and loses his license for life.

Yea I guess when you factor in his age and how MANY offenses he has, He sounds like a complete dumbass that should be locked up. I mean in my 5 years of driving. I got maybe 4 tickets, all dropped :). But 1 for speeding the rest were stupid, like Taillight, stereo, muffler.
I like how dumb some of the comments are,

the one about leaving your homies for dead... yea like I would want to stay with 3 dead mutaliated corpses in my wrecked car.

wow that is just sad :ohdamn:

notice when this usually happens the driver is fine. even in drunk driving crashes and also everytime i hear about a street racing crash here in miami (which there are plenty) its always the same case. the car is always some sort of thing not designed to be going that fast like a van or a pick up or a family car.

never once have i ever seen on the news here "2 people were killed in a ferrari crash" now im not saying it isnt possible either im just saying in a car like that the braking and handling are designed for some speed. in the end its all the driver and his/her decisions.

my condolences go out to the families of the victims :(

my dad died in a "street racing" accident an he was not the one driving he was the one in the passenger seat i would love to see more tracks around were people could take there cars so that they dont fell the need to do it on the streets, and ecspecially not with passengers in the car. just my opinion

I hope the driver gets the maximum punishment and loses his license for life.

He would just drive w/o once he gets out. 16 offenses in 3 years means "I dont care to hell with the rules" and "I'm not even smart enough to away with it"

I've been trying to figure out what the maximum penalty for him is. Only things I found florida state websites is dui vehicular manslaughter. It looks like he is facing either 3 15 year terms, or 3 30 year terms. Hopefully are consecutive, and not concurrent. Either way.. he is going to be living off tax payer money for most of his life.

I used to street race , but by street race i mean on a closed service road where traffic rarely if ever went because of a run down warehouse .never outo n streets with other cars nor with turns or passengers in the car

It only took one experience at 16 to never try something stupid again. Me and a friend we're going to go at it on a green light. As the light was about to turn green a cop in an suv comes out of nowhere (from behind us)siren and lights blaring...and passes us to go on somewhere in the distance. Needless to say that was the only time I have come close to trying something. Almost six years later still have a clean record with no tickets at all.

It only took one experience at 16 to never try something stupid again. Me and a friend we're going to go at it on a green light. As the light was about to turn green a cop in an suv comes out of nowhere (from behind us)siren and lights blaring...and passes us to go on somewhere in the distance. Needless to say that was the only time I have come close to trying something. Almost six years later still have a clean record with no tickets at all.

you my friend have a guardian angel LOL who knows what was about to happen

Even if this man was to walk free, he'll be in hell for the rest of his life. If he knew his friends were dead, he saw them for sure, and that image will stick with him until his dying day. I'm willing to be he starts drinking heavily, drugs, possibly suicide. Nothing we do to him will make it worse than he already has it. Karma's a mean one.

I was just lucky enough to live within 5 miles of a drag strip. When I was kid we used to ride our bikes down there and watch the races from the fence. I remember one day when I was about 12 a guy crashed. His car just kept flipping and I knew there was no way he would live.

But thanks to the fact that there was an Ambulance Present, he was on the way to the hospital within 5 minutes and he ended up living. It was a classmate's dad. He ended up in a wheel chair for almost 2 years, and didn't start racing again until we all in our mid-late teens. Shit scarred the hell out of me. Allways been a very defensive driver.

I was just lucky enough to live within 5 miles of a drag strip.

Baileyton?? It used to have one of the scariest shut down areas on a drag strip I've ever seen.... Memories tho.

I'm guilty of street racing out on Rt. 13 in Natural Bridge, AL. But it was always at 1-4AM and it's a strait that goes on forever. Even the cops would come and spectate. But there was NO traffic, nowhere for anyone to pull out from, and no way I would ever take someone riding in the car with me, cause it would have been one of those "Driver lives, passenger dies" things and I could never be able to deal with that.

It really is hard sometimes when being harassed at a light, or going down the road. Sometimes you just have to be the bigger person.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back