The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

3" long downpipe & catback too much for 14b?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Gina2G

10+ Year Contributor
May 6, 2011
Beaufort, South_Carolina
I was hoping to use this 3" downpipe & megan racing catback that came with my car, but after reading alot of threads it sounds like this may be to much for my 14B turbo? I have an evo 3 manifold & 02 housing if it matters.

I belive the downpipe is actually the longest kind you can get and possibly from ebay, because there wasn't room for the cataylic and the catback, the catback just meets up to the downpipe.

The downpipe is 3"from where it meets the 02 housing to the other end. Same for the megan racing catback not including the 2.5 reducer. This is the catback I have- Megan Racing

I understand I should at the very least get my 02 housing ported, but should I get a different downpipe? I'm not sure If it just needs to be smaller at the 02 housing or just shorter so I could use a catayltic, or maybe even both? I'd just like to avoid boost creep being a newb.

Your fine. Let your turbo breathe... Tubular manifold and ported o2 housing are good idea. But you may as well go with open dump o2 if you can stand it.

Your 14b will creep bad. As soon as I put on my 3inch downpipe, my 14b spiked to 21 psi all by itself.

You need to port it real good. Also you probably going to have fitmit issues with the evo 3 o2 housing. And if your downpipe is true 3 inch where it bolts to your o2 housing, its going to be damn near impossible to bolt to a stock o2 housing.

I have an aftermarket o2 with a exhaust like the one you're describing. Terrible boost creep. If the car hadn't of came with the exhaust, it would have stock exhaust put back on it already.

I have a 1G exhaust manifold, unported 2G O2 housing, a full 3" Punishment downpipe and Megan exhaust (their resonator in place of the cat, and another on the midpipe. Never experienced any creep.

Your manifold and O2 housing may encourage creep, but it's really not that serious of an issue. As per the cat-delete downpipe, unless you have emissions testing, leave it alone. Beauty in simplicity.

thanks for the replies everyone, I need to go re-measure my downpipe soon, I didn't remember untill now that it's not 3" inches where it meets up with the 02 housing. If I'm right this time, I think its around 2.75" but like I said I'll recheck.

does having a cat affect boost creep? I'm intrested in getting the evo 3 02 housing ported, but now possibly looking for a new smaller downpipe if it'll help with creep.

If i remember correctly Punishment Racing's downpipe is a true 3" pipe. I had no issues whatsoever bolting it on to my stock o2 housing. Megan Racing downpipes neck down to 2.5" and flare out to 3" after the flex section.

I wish I could say the same about my punishment downpipe. There was no way in hell I was getting the nuts on the studs with the 3 inch inlet. Even took a hammer to try and dent the sides, just had to buy an aftermarket o2 housing.

Also megan has a 2.5 inlet for about 3 inches then 3 inch all the way back.

An ebay DP usually has a 2.5 in opening to a full three inch, I got one for only 60 but have yet to put it on my car, I also have a 3in cat back that has a 2.75 mid pipe, Im going to use that for a while until I need more power, then I am just planning on buying 3in straight SS pipes and mandrel bends and having my little bro custom weld it, and have it connet to my tail pipe I have with my cat back

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back