The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

1G 3 Inch hood exit exhaust materials

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Lauscher

Proven Member
Aug 18, 2015
Escanaba, Michigan
Hey guys, I'm interested in making myself a hood exit exhaust, I plan on making my own o2 flange to bolt to my turbo and recirculating the wastegate back in. My question is what is the best material for me to use besides stainless? I don't have the resources to use or weld stainless. I know it will be useless and obnoxious. There are no emission tests of any sort in my area and the police are pretty lienient. It's a summer DD and I do what I want! I figure just plain exhaust pipe will crack from the high heat right off the flange pretty quickly.

Last edited:
And then would I benefit more from the exhaust being 3 inch right off the flange or going from the size of the turbine opening and then upsizing to 3 inch within a couple inches away?

Maybe ceramic coated mild steel if you get the coating right. Go look at aftermarket kits and see what they are made of and how they are made and you'll get both of those answers. How much power are you going for?

Maybe ceramic coated mild steel if you get the coating right. Go look at aftermarket kits and see what they are made of and how they are made and you'll get both of those answers. How much power are you going for?
I'm running a bastard 20g so probably 400 max on a mix of 92 and 110 for now until I go with a larger turbo. I'm mainly doing this because I currently have a 2.5 turbo back and I don't wanna pay for a full 3 inch and I think the out the hood will give a great breatheability and look.

If you were close I'd say drop it off and I'd fab one up for ya..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back