The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

3 inch exhaust system on stock turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91eagle_tsi_awd

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 29, 2002
Staten Island, New_York
im planning on running a bigger turbo later this summer.but i just bought my apex n1.and im planning on puttin a 3inch staight pipe from turboback all the way to the muffler.if im going to run a bigger turbo later on might as well go for the 3 inch now then go for a 2 1/2 then have to spend money again for a 3 inch.my question is with a 3 inch piping will my car lose back pressure?since the turbo is stock,is this a good idea or no?

I ran a 3" exhaust with the stock turbo on my 1st DSM. You'll sure notice some real nice spool-up. ;) Nothing wrong with a "might as well". Yes, 3" is too much at this point, but the negative effects (slightly less low-end torque) are minimal.

with a turbine wheel in the exhaust stream, you could run a 4" pipe straight up a hole in the hood and have no ill effects power wise.

the turbo will supply enough back pressure.

But explaining this to exhaust shops who mainly do v8 trucks/camaros/mustangs is a pita as they will say that you are wrong or even get mad at ya :)

only problem with the full 3" mandrel bent system and a stock turbo setup is the boost creep. With that kind of flow, your turbo will out flow the wastegate, and the thing will still produce boost when the wastegate is open.

To combat this, you have to port the wastegate hole, and the O2 sensor housing. I am fighting with this right now, but I cannot afford to have the porting done. Gahh.

if you stick to just a cat back exhaust, then there should be no boost creep problem since the stock down pipe is still in use right?

I have a full 3" turbo back w/ my stock T25 and have ZERO probs

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back