The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

3 ECU Questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turbo1gTsi

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 8, 2002
Virginia
Please answer either or all questions if you can!! This sucks for me...

1) What ECU's can I use to replace my blown one out of my 91 Talon TsI AWD Turbo 5sp?

2) Is there a way to test and be 100% sure that an ECU is messed up? I think mine may have shorted out. (not do to leaky capacitors...) What can I do to ensure it's my ECU that's crapped out before I go waste money on another one???

3) Is there possibly a fuse that could have blown that would prevent the ECU from powering up? If so, where is this fuse located??

--Thanks to everyone who can help, my situation sucks right now and I need to get my daily driver on the road again ASAP!!--

Thanks a lot man, I just got done e-mailing them... How are they on prices? Still need some questions answered guys if your out there!!! Thanks!!

Mine was like $385 plus shipping with 1 year warranty & 105 degree Caps for an Eprom ECU. Don't count on getting the core rebate though!

Why shouldn't I count on the core rebate, I read there rebate regulations and my ECU met the requirements... just needs to be fixed, and that is what they do!?!? LOL... Also, what are the advantages with having the EPROM ECU, just the abiltiy to have the TMO upgrades and such? Thanks...

Well I thought mine was repairable too but it had a faint spot on the motherchip or something... just don't count on it. I hope you're right about yours. There's something good about the Eprom units - I forget the details.

Also, how did you know when you ECU went bad? I have a hunch that mine is gone but don't have a way of knowing for sure... Any suggestions??

I bought the '91 for $600 non-running. seller thought it had jumped time. The crankcase was full of gas. I checked the ECU - the caps were toast - I bought the refurbished one - changed the oil a few times & it lit right off. I think that somehow the bad ECU had the injectors on wide open - I had spark.

You wouldn't happen to know the answer to my 3rd question at the top of the post would you? I'm really curious about that, if there is no fuse then I'm pretty certain it's my ECU...

There is a fuse under the dash you can pull to power down the ECU even when the ignition switch is off (ECU is always powered for it's memory functions) but I can't remember which (heater I think) & God forbid DSM should actually put that on the fuse box cover - it's obviously some kinda secret... (SEARCH?).

There is an ECU power relay next to the ECU also - it clicks a lot sometimes when your ECU is "checking out". Supposedly it's very rare to have that die.

#1- Any 91-94 AWD 5 spd

#2- Find a friend with one and swap or take a car for a test drive and swap. This is about the only way to see if an ECU is fried.

Check the trader for an ECU, you can usually find one for $150 or so.

Alright guys, Junkyard called me back today and they have a 1992 Chrysler Laser AWD Turbo 5sp ECU for $275.00 This will work for my application just as good as mine did, correct? Is this a decent price? Thanks guys....

Trust me and do not go and buy that ecu...
You can always find ecu's on the trader (if you trust that thing..escrow/COD) for about 100-200$ for wht you are looking for. 275$ is a bit pricey. I agree with JET, just swap with someone to see if your problem goes away.

Why wouldn't you buy the one from the junkyard? Personally, I've had some bad experiences with Ebay and other places like that so I'd really rather get it locally... Also I don't have a friend with a 1g that I can swap in my car... sucks, I wish I could do that...

NO WAY RAY! Do a search here or @ DSM.TALK these ECU Caps are a very common problem as these cars approach10 years of age, even for the NT guys. If I recall correctly the stock Caps are an 85 degree grade or something like that - the hot setup is to upgrade to 105 or 115 degree caps.

Originally posted by Turbo1gTsi
Please answer either or all questions if you can!! This sucks for me...

1) What ECU's can I use to replace my blown one out of my 91 Talon TsI AWD Turbo 5sp?

Any 91-94 ECU will work. There are minor differences between the FWD and AWD and MT and AT ECUs, but nothing that will prevent your car from running well.

2) Is there a way to test and be 100% sure that an ECU is messed up? I think mine may have shorted out. (not do to leaky capacitors...) What can I do to ensure it's my ECU that's crapped out before I go waste money on another one???

Put the ECU in an otherwise working car.

3) Is there possibly a fuse that could have blown that would prevent the ECU from powering up? If so, where is this fuse located??

There are several. Check the interior light fuse (backup power to the ECU) and the MPI fuse (on the positive battery terminal).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back