The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved 3 Bolt Steering Wheel Adapter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamadaaaa009

Proven Member
Mar 7, 2023
Asia
Was trying to remove and change the steering wheel the previous owner installed and saw this 3 bolt adapter. Searched around and I think they're called Grant? I couldn't pull them out and I noticed that the bolt in the center is just a simple bolt and the hub they used was held on by the 3 bolts and a nut for the middle. I've honestly never seen this before and have no idea to remove them. I bought the usual hub adapter with splines and I'm met with a bolt and nut. Is there a way to change/remove this or should I just buy a hub adapter for this grant?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Solution
I'm a cheapskate (although I did finally buy a puller) so another method you can try is to put tension on it by pulling the steering wheel towards you, and smack the end of the shaft with a hammer to pop it free. To avoid damaging the threads, thread the nut onto the shaft until the face of the nut is flush with the end of the shaft. I have popped several out that way, especially now that the oil has had a chance to soak. The splines are tapered, so the adapter can wedge on there pretty good. A bolt puller is a good thing to have- nothing too fancy, Harbor Freight version will likely do, like this one:
But, there is a chance this one is too big- might measure how...
From what I can see, the 3-bolt piece shown in the picture has the splines inside of it mating to the splines on the steering shaft poking out the middle. Since you may not have a bolt-type pulley puller, I would leave the center nut off, bolt the old steering wheel back on with the three bolts, then rack it back and forth to loosen this center piece and pull it off the shaft.

From what I can see, the 3-bolt piece shown in the picture has the splines inside of it mating to the splines on the steering shaft poking out the middle. Since you may not have a bolt-type pulley puller, I would leave the center nut off, bolt the old steering wheel back on with the three bolts, then rack it back and forth to loosen this center piece and pull it off the shaft.
Oh, I thought it was all 1 piece (adapter and the shaft) LOL. I dont have a puller so I tried your suggestion but no luck. It's too tough, I tried smacking both sides of the steering wheel, rocked it back and forth but it won't budge. Tried spraying penetrating oil but still no luck... Will try again tomorrow and if all else fails I might have to borrow a puller by then. Thank you!

Yep, rent a puller (or buy one, they aren't expensive).

I'm a cheapskate (although I did finally buy a puller) so another method you can try is to put tension on it by pulling the steering wheel towards you, and smack the end of the shaft with a hammer to pop it free. To avoid damaging the threads, thread the nut onto the shaft until the face of the nut is flush with the end of the shaft. I have popped several out that way, especially now that the oil has had a chance to soak. The splines are tapered, so the adapter can wedge on there pretty good. A bolt puller is a good thing to have- nothing too fancy, Harbor Freight version will likely do, like this one:
But, there is a chance this one is too big- might measure how far apart the bolts in the adapter are first to make sure this one will work.

Solution
It's been a while but I was able to remove the old adapter and install a new hub adapter. I couldn't find a steering wheel puller but I was able to buy a small 3 jaw puller and used it. Thanks everyone!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back