The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G 3 AEM Gauges. Wiring Power Source Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMStyle2G

Probationary Member
Jun 24, 2018
South Bend, Indiana
So I'm wiring up my AEM Tru-boost, Wideband, and oil pressure gauges right now on my 2g. I would like to tie all 3 of the power wires together into 1 for the power and do the same with the ground wires.

Initially I was going to do this and use a fuse tap but then found out it will not fit into the fuse box so that ideas a bust. I've been doing research and looking on the forums for where I could get power and I'm thinking of tapping into the cigarette lighter, but I haven't seen where anybody has had all 3 gauges powered by the cigarette lighter all at one time, so is this safe to do so?

Also all of the AEEM gauge instructions recommended 5 amp fuse for each gauge for install. If I tie all of them together and power them through the cigarette lighter the stock 15 amp fuse for the cigarette lighter should be sufficient right? Or do I need to add some 5 amp fuses inline?

I don't ever use the cigarette lighter but wanted to ask before I found out the hard way. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance

Last edited:
Solution
Just a quick update, I got everything wired up and it all seems to be working good as of right now.

I ended up looking a bit more into it and started researching other places and found the turbo timer harness was a power point depending on which wire was used. I never even thought about using the turbo timer before but I checked it out and the previous owner used a plug and play harness for it.

I was a bit more comfortable splicing into it for power since I could get another harness for the turbo timer instead of cutting into the stock car wiring. I probed the pins and the blue wire was the accessory wire so I spliced into it and used 3 5amp fusible links (1 for each gauge), tied all the grounds together, put a ring terminal on and...
Of those three the Wideband is going to draw the most current since it has to power the O2 sensor.
I wouldn't connect it with the other two (One 5 A is more than enough for those and another one for the WB). If you look at the FSM electrical manual you can see what switched circuits are available in the fuse/junction box by the drivers footwell.

I personally use the blue wire on the cigarette lighter for my gauges. I use both power and ground for the with key on power.

I also use one of the “light” wires for my wideband to dim at night. Can’t say I have drove the car at night for probably a decade now though since she’s not a daily anymore.

For clarity I don’t have a cigarette lighter anymore. The hole has been replaced with a 2 inch hole and has an oil pressure gauge in its place. So I’ve never tried to use the cigarette lighter while the gauges are on.

I like the add a fuse links but you can’t put your cover back on the fuse box unless you either slit it to accept a wire or just pinch it in there. I didn’t want to modify the fuse box cover or run without one.

-Daniel

You can always play it safe and run a new circuit. Run a fused power wire from battery to relay in center console or in dash. Have acc wire energize relay coil so power is turned on/off with car.

Just a quick update, I got everything wired up and it all seems to be working good as of right now.

I ended up looking a bit more into it and started researching other places and found the turbo timer harness was a power point depending on which wire was used. I never even thought about using the turbo timer before but I checked it out and the previous owner used a plug and play harness for it.

I was a bit more comfortable splicing into it for power since I could get another harness for the turbo timer instead of cutting into the stock car wiring. I probed the pins and the blue wire was the accessory wire so I spliced into it and used 3 5amp fusible links (1 for each gauge), tied all the grounds together, put a ring terminal on and grounded it to the dash with a existing screw.

Everything's working good other than the oil pressure gauge missing segments in the display.But I messaged AEM and they had me do a field destroy with proof and are sending a new display so all is good.

Thanks again for the help guys! It's greatly appreciated

Solution
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back