The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

3.94 to 3.55 NV-T350 Tranny Swap (2gNT)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This How-To is a result of a topic that began in the Newbie forums. Since I cannot yet post in all the forums, and this might be of interest to others that don't frequent the Newbie forums, I decided to post this here.

First off is why do this swap?
In doing this swap you'll increase your top speed which is good for anyone that wants to go faster, and save you money at the gas pump for those that cruise at 70-80Mph to work everyday. This also gives an added bonus to 2gNT members who are no longer NT. This is done by moving the gears higher, to match the higher powerband of your boosted application. Traction off the line will increase, and your turbo will grant you higher top speeds per-gear up top in the powerband where the turbo likes to breathe (assuming you're not running a T-25). The less low end torque / more top speed / is a good thing for any FWD car that doesn't get traction on street tires until the top of 3rd gear. The better gas milage is good for everyone.

2GNT NV-350:
Gear Ratios
1st 3.54
2nd 2.13
3rd 1.36
4th 1.03
5th 0.81
Final Drive 3.94

Neon NV-T350:
1st 3.50
2nd 1.95
3rd 1.36
4th 0.97
5th 0.72
Final Drive 3.55

Now that you have reason to do the swap, go out and do it! Here's the information you need to know..

The main bell housing on the 3.55 tranny is equipped with a cable actuated clutch release fork. You can either swap the bellhousing with your current T350 housing, or swap to a cable clutch setup. Other than that the trannies are identical.

Before you run out looking for a SOHC neon to steal the tranny out of, note that ALL 1st gen neons came with cable actuated clutches. So that means that the 3.55 you're looking at in the junkyard may actually be a 3.94.

http://www.neons.org/forumdodge/trans.htm

You'll notice that the 01-04 Base neons come with a hydraulic clutch. I'm thinking these will require no modification at all, but don't quote me on that. The newer years also gain 30ft/lbs on the torque rating. I'm not sure why, but that's another plus if you can get one cheap.

Since the trannies are the same, your clutch, shafts, mounts, and hydrualic system can be retained *if you don't switch to cable*.

Drop, Swap, Enjoy...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back