The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

-3, -4, -6, -10 line size diameters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

athlete3344

10+ Year Contributor
May 1, 2010
Tampa, Florida
Ive been searching trying to find the equivalent diameters in inches for -3, -4, -6, etc AN lines. Im aware the AN is for anodized, but as far as diameters, I have no clue.

For example,
I am looking at buying an AFPR to support a 20g, and I can find AFPRs in -6 and -10 AN lines. Which is bigger and recommended?

Thanks,

AN hose is measured in 1/16" intervals. The size of the hose notes how many 16th's the ID is.

-2 AN is 2/16" ID (or 1/8")
-4 AN is 4/16" ID (or 1/4")
-6 AN is 6/16" ID (or 3/8")
etc.

To answer the AFPR question, it doesn't really matter since you can buy adapter fittings to go from one size to another. For a 20g, you wouldn't need a return line bigger than -6 AN, but you could buy an AFPR that has bigger ports and then just step it down to whatever size hose you plan on running from the rail.

Remember this is hose id (inner diameter)

-2 hose has an I.D. of 1/8"
-3 hose has an I.D. of 3/16"
-4 hose has an I.D. of 1/4"
-5 hose has an I.D. of 5/16"
-6 hose has an I.D. of 3/8"
-8 hose has an I.D. of 1/2"
-10 hose has an I.D. of 5/8"
-12 hose has an I.D. of 3/4"
-16 hose has an I.D. of 1"
-20 hose has an I.D. of 1 1/4"

AN is for anodized
It doesn't stand for that but it doesn't really matter. It stands for ArmyNavy. It was a set of standards originally designed for use by the US military.

One thing to remember is that if youre dealing with -0X sizes, They dont actually equal out to exactly .25", .375", .5" etc. The following are the actual inside diameters of the braided ss hoses, and it can be a bit surprising:

-04 = 7/32"
-06 = 11/32"
-08 = 7/16"
-10 = 9/16"
-12 = 11/16"
-16 = 7/8"

The AN thread is a particular type of fitting used to connect flexible hoses and rigid metal tubing that carry fluid. It is a US military-derived specification that dates back to World War II and stems from a joint standard agreed upon by the Army and Navy, hence AN.

AN sizes range from -2 (dash two) to -32 in irregular steps, with each step equating to the OD (outside diameter) of the tubing in 1/16" increments. Therefore, a -8 AN size would be equal to 1/2" OD tube (8 x 1/16 = 1/2). However, this system does not specify the ID (inside diameter) of the tubing because the tube wall can vary in thickness. Each AN size also uses its own standard thread size.

AN fittings are a flare fitting, using 37° flared tubing to form a metal-metal seal. They are similar to other 37° flared fittings, such as JIC, which is their industrial variant. The two are interchangeable in theory, though this is typically not recommended due to the exacting specifications and demands of the aerospace industry. The differences between them relate to thread class and shape (how tight a fit the threads are), and the metals used.

Note that 37° AN and 45° SAE fittings and tooling are not interchangeable due to the different flaring angles. Mixing them can cause leakage at the flare.

^^Indeed, and -06 and -12 SAE are dramatically different in both size and thread pitch than their AN and JIC counterparts. I actually work with this stuff for a living and youd be amazed and the hundreds of different fitting styles there are, its insane. I mostly work with industrial hydraulics and pneumatics but also do some automotive stuff as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back