The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2nd ProSolo win for TRE/Doug's Automotive ESP Talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACM

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 11, 2002
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts
The Toledo Pro Solo - Sam took the car to 1st place and I did NOT finish DFL ! We both hit our goals :D

With his win at the DC Pro earlier this year, this gives Sam the maximum points possible going into the Pro Finale - only the highest two events count.

Quite the fight, not least because we couldn't get the car off the line to save our lives - our best 60' was 1.89, were were losing a car length on the launch to Mustangs...On top of this, every time we went into the right side course's 260* sweeper, the car would die 2/3rds of the way around from fuel starvation ! It sucked...

New fuel pump on the way, but I don't know what we're going to do to fix the launches. This appears to be caused primarily by the lack of a centre LSD - the Cusco 35:65 is actually an open diff, it's not an LSD, and adding a VC - even a worn out one - ruins the handling. Remarkably, the Mustang guys were complaining that after they pulled a car length on us from the launch, we clawed all that and more back by the time we reached the big sweeper - normally it's the opposite way around Smile Playing with DSMLink's launch control only got us two options - bog like hell then go like a golf kart, or sit at the start spinning the rear wheels like crazy...With a VC fitted we've pulled great 60's as you'd expect, but the car handles like a dump truck, so it's still faster overall even with the horrible launches.

So kudos to Sam for another win, and many thanks to Doug for working on the car tirelessly all year long, and Jon @ TRE for his MaxLock rear LSD and transmission.

Only 6 weeks to Lincoln and the Nationals !!

Thanks,
Charles

Nice!

Thanks to Charles for letting me drive his wicked fast car, and to Doug (and also Charles) for keeping that beast running.

2012 Toledo Pro 2nd Heat - YouTube

My first run on the Left and second run on the Right were the class winning runs:
2012 Toledo Pro 3rd Heat - YouTube

Samuel Krauss
08 Expedition (TSP)
04 S4 (STU)
98 Talon (holding down jack stands)
95 Talon (STX)

First and foremost, congrats. This is great.

As to the center diff, two thoughts come to mind. One is to see if there's room to wedge some form of active center in there. Maybe Jon could do it. It would be uber-cool if he could.

The other thought is remember when that troll suggested that 35/65 was too much. Based on his calculations, a 42/58 would be optimal for the launch. But I guess that's moot, as you can't get the 42/58 from a Scooby to fit in there.

Frankly I wouldn't swap the 35:65 for all the tea in China - the dynamic handling improvements it brings to the table are amazing. I really don't think it's too much at all - it takes some skill to push a car as loose as the 35:65 creates, but that's just part of the game. If you could have seen the car under full throttle all the way around the back 260* (until fuel starvation kicked in !) I think you would agree - or at least see the merit in it.

Unfortunately an active ACD type setup is no longer legal in SP unless an OEM fitment - I was toyng with a magneto-rheological fluid-based idea when the rules were changed a few years ago. In retrospect I don't think it would have been sufficiently effective, but it was fun whilst it lasted :)

I have a new idea that's rattling around in the back of my head, almost as good, passive as the rules require, but the packaging is a bit challenging.

Frankly I wouldn't swap the 35:65 for all the tea in China....

They don't have AYCs in China, I guess. Which is good, since they'd just copy it and sell knock-offs on eBay if they did. :)

I didn't know about the limit on LSDs (since I stopped paying attention to SCCA idiocy years ago). If you have a way to get a piggy-back LSD to lock under power and open on lift, all without a computer, then I'd love to hear about it. I like to think about these sorts of thing.

If you have a way to get a piggy-back LSD to lock under power and open on lift, all without a computer, then I'd love to hear about it. I like to think about these sorts of thing.

X2

I'd love to hear about it!!

X2

I'd love to hear about it!!

We're still working on it, I'm confident it will happen :)

Unfortunately a major engine failure took out the motor, transfer case and somehow damaged the Cusco centre diff, so we're a bit behind the 8 ball right now. Trying to find another Tarmac Gear is proving very difficult as Cusco recently discontinued them. We'll find a way around it...

We're still working on it, I'm confident it will happen :)

Unfortunately a major engine failure took out the motor, transfer case and somehow damaged the Cusco centre diff, so we're a bit behind the 8 ball right now. Trying to find another Tarmac Gear is proving very difficult as Cusco recently discontinued them. We'll find a way around it...

Good luck getting it back together guys!!!! Briefly said hi to you guys at the toledo pro solo, and said hi to you at the Evo shootout in dover, and unfortunately pointed out your upper control arm :coy:

Are you guys going to be making Dixie?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back