The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2nd gear. PLEASE HELP ME!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u6t9

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 19, 2004
Kearney, Nebraska
I tore out my tranny and started to tear it apart because I couldn't use my 2nd gear at all. once I got in to my tranny this is what i found. the first pic is just a whole shot of my tranny so you know what's going on and where i'm at. the second one is a pic of what I think is my second gear. i apologize for bad quality. the red arrow indicates the gear and where it is very worn. you can see at the top of the teeth it's supposed to be square but it is now pointy (green arrows) that is also what the teeth on the gear on the left look like (yellow arrows)

also, i can move the shift fork and get it into second gear and it looks like only the worn parts of the gears are the ones that engage. let me try to explain more, it looks like when i'm in 2nd gear only the area between the blue lines is engaged.

is something wrong with my tranny or is only that much of the gear supposed to engage. please help me and let me know.

Attachments

• 2nd gear 1.JPG
    2nd gear 1.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 2nd gear 3.JPG
    2nd gear 3.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 160
ok, by now you're probobly thinking that i should not be trying to fix this myself. i dont know if i was smoking crack or what when i wrote that post but anyways... In the picture above what I thought was part of the second gear is actually the reverse idler gear. oops.

so anyways, I was looking at my gears and everything looks fine to me..... the reason I took everything apart was because it grinds everytime you shift to second gear and it wont even stay in second gear. so if anybody could shed some light one what would cause that that would be great. maybe you could draw me a diagram of what happens to what when i shift to second. (i'll attach pictures for you to doodle on)

first picture is the input shaft, second is the intermediate shaft.

please help me try to figure this out and make me wiser!
thank you in advance for your help! :thumb:

Attachments

• input shaft.jpg
    input shaft.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 161
  • intermediate shaft.jpg
    intermediate shaft.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 163
Your syncros are bad. Do a search for syncros and you'll find 101 threads.

First and second ger has the bigger fork on it.

When you shift a gear the fork moves and slides from one hear to the other and clicks in place.

This engages the gear.

Basically if the syncro is worn the slider will not go back and forth between gears as easy.

I would get a syncro parts for all the gears.

There is also a service manual at www.manualcd.com in the gift section...

I already knew my syncros were bad but would that make it pop out of 2nd gear? I mean if tried to put it in second, I had to put ALL of my weight on it and hold it pulled back and sometimes it would still come out and start grinding like a mofo. so that's why i thought half of my gear was probobly gone or something. I know that something other than my syncros are bad, I just dont know what.

one more little thing, where can I get the syncros from?

Popping out of gear happens if the gear can't fully engage, or the splines on the side of the gear are worn and rounded.

Incomplete engagement can be caused by misadjusted shift cables or a worn shift fork. You can check the shift forks for uneven wear patters where the fork pushes on the slider, and check for excessive freeplay between the fork and the slider.

You'll have to look closely to see if the splines on the side of the gear are worn. You'll be looking at the part in your last picture. The splines should be perfectly squared off with an angle at the edge, sort of like this _> If the angled part seems to taper gradually as you follow it closer to the gear that will make it pop out of gear. Essentially a taper worn in the spline will push the slider away. Compare it with the other gears to see how it should look.

Usually when the splines wear out like that it also wears out the slider, too. So you should replace the gear, hub/slider assembly, syncro, and maybe the shift fork if it's worn, too. Side clearances need to be checked and put within spec, and you might want to check the needle bearing that the gear rides on to make sure it's still smooth and doesn't have any freeplay.

wow, that was a great reply, i'll check all that and get back here and let you know whats wrong. thanks for the help guys. :thumb:

I think I'm just going to send it to TRE and have them fix it. I've heard really good things about them, so as soon as they email me back I'll know what to do.
thanks for the help guys! :thumb:

I will post a picture of my syncro teeth when I get home tonight, or tomorow. I am in the same boat as you. Hopefully we will both get this ordeal worked out. Btw if you are going to be ordering 1 and 2 syncros from Mitsu be ready to wait... they were on backorder when I ordered mine. If they tell you it is on back order ask them if they can put an "emergency vehicle down status" on the order for you. The parts dep. here did it for me and got my syncros about 2 weeks earlier than expected.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back