The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2nd daily driver car suggestions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paranoidTSi

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2002
none, Utah
Well since my 88 corolla has been shitfaced by a tow truck, I need suggestions of a reliable secondary car cause my 95 talon, as much as I hate to say it doesn't fit under reliability. I've got 20,000 from the all state insurance as part of uninsured motorist policy. I'm not looking to spend that much on a car, I'm looking to spend somewhere in the 5K - 7K range.

Lets assume that the car I pick up hasn't been beat to shit by the previous owner (something I will check myself), what are some good cars to consider? What are some cars I should avoid?

The cars I've thought of getting:
- Honda Civic
- Acura Intregra
- 1st generation Eclipse/Talon/Laser N/T
- Chevy Cavalier
- Toyota Celica (generation before the latest, the latest is a girls car! :p )
- 3rd generation eclipse

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

most things made my honda or toyota will be good. The only problem with integras would be people are deciding to ask a higher selling price things like that. Have you ever thought about getting a small pick-up truck? Also im sure someone will come in here and say 3rd gen. eclipses are shit...everyone i know has no problems for just a commuter, also maybe a lancer, accord, ???

WTF allstate gave you 20k for a 88 carolla cause the other guy was uninsured?

dam if thats true, i love allstate. a uninsured motorist can smear me anytime.

im voting for the interga. theyre nice, cheap, and reliable, decently quick, and good on gas. i also think a crx or something, even better on gas, can be made quick, and nice and small so traffic is easy to handle.

Get a stock 2g NT. Great on gas, almost as good as a honda, and dam near no mantinance. I drove mine for 1 1/2 years with no work at all and drove it hard, and it finally blew the headgasket on me just recently.

If you have 20k, I would invest in something newer with a warranty so it doesn't matter if it breaks...

Well my parents (mom, specifically) is pushing me to buy a new vehicle, but I don't want to because I firmly believe there is a nice used car out there that is in great running condition thats much cheaper and nearly as reliable as a new car.

I'd really love to have a reliable eclipse or talon non-turbo. Any more suggestions?

Thomas91169 said:
WTF allstate gave you 20k for a 88 carolla cause the other guy was uninsured?

I actually got 25K, but 5 goes to my parents. Trust me, I'd rather have not got hit, the suffering I'm going through isn't worth 25k, its worth a lot more. Which is why we are taking the company to court. a Blown Aorta (survival rate of less than 5%), broken ribs, broken pelvis, torn urethra, swelling of the brain, broken bone above right ear..over $130,000 in medical bills, 25K don't cut it.

I got $1,200 for the actual car which is about what it was worth, good enough to fix up the talon I suppose.

2000+ Hyundai Elantra GT, go test drive one, youll love it.

maybe a 1.8 DSM. Not the fasetest car in the world, but they get good mileage, reliablilty and are pretty fun to drive.

Not too expensive either :cool:

HOnestly man if you want to help please your parents a little bit, I'd go find a 1998 up car, because in 3 years it will be 10years old as well.

I like a 1998+integra,
2000 or 2001 honda civic,

but those cars are probably around 10-12K

There is a whole lot of choices, but I'd pick something with low miles, clean record, something that won't get stolen, so whatever you buy spend some cash keeping it locked up.

Oh and most import something that is safe, maybe like a 1993-2000 BMW or something.

I hope you get what your looking for, in a car, and in the court. Money can't ever replace your health.

destruckeclipse said:
Get a stock 2g NT. Great on gas, almost as good as a honda, and dam near no mantinance. I drove mine for 1 1/2 years with no work at all and drove it hard, and it finally blew the headgasket on me just recently.

If you have 20k, I would invest in something newer with a warranty so it doesn't matter if it breaks...
yeah same here went 1.5 years no maintenance and 10k on it :thumb:

Great thing about 2GNT's is you can get a perfect shape 97+ for less then $5k. Matter of fact theres around 120 of them around me for under $4000. Very cheap and GREAT on gas, I could go 2 weeks before even worrying about filling up, and I drove alot too. I'm kinda missing it with my new gsx, but WTF I'll live with it now that I got that pretty little turbo in there. Can't beat the gsx launches either.

quiksilver38 said:
yeah same here went 1.5 years no maintenance and 10k on it :thumb:

I have a 97 rs as my commuter

the last 48k miles ive driven it after my 60k service

no problems whatsoever.
drive her hard
highway miles usually 80-90mph daily driven @ 100miles per day
synthetic mobil 1 every 3.5-4.5k miles
and still running strong

id say pick up a 2gb nt
or
94 up gsr for some speed

I'd actually say go for a 3G Eclipse. I think they look pretty nice and my roommate has one and they are dececntly quick(V6 anyhow) and ride good. Also, most of them come with the autostick and you can find a real nice one, atleast in my area, for about 8-9k. Get a Black or Pearl white one, with black leather, real nice.

just my 2 cents tho...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back