The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2nd 14B attempt highest 14B MPH

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1qkfwd

DSM Wiseman
Sep 16, 2005
Sun Valley, Nevada
So I decided to head to Sacramento from Reno and run my 14B car. Its roughly a 4000ft elevation difference. I figured I need all I can get. Here are my results.

Saturday 3/2/13
I unload the car and go make my first pass. Launch the car, hit second, as soon as I hit full boost the nut on the turbo backed off and shot the turbine out the back. Now this is a common issue with the 14B's that where on the 90 dsms. They are a serial number ending with 1010. So I swap out the turbo with the spare I bought and ended up making two passes this day.

60' 1.686
1/8et 7.294
1/8mph 99.930
1/4et 11.246
1/4mph 124.851

Pass 2

60' 1.758
1/8et 7.241
1/8mph 101.416
1/4et 11.113
1/4mph 126.252

Excited about the run I didnt want to push my luck because of the big race the next day.

3/3/13

Get to the track unload and tech. Then we start talking about my previous day. We talk about the turbo and the issues. I go look at the spare on my car and its another 1010 14B. Paranoid about losing another turbo, I make my first pass after waiting on the starting line for an hour beacause it decided to rain right as I was staging. Then I get back pull the O2 housing off and to my surprise the turbine nut was a tad loose. i tighten it up and made another three passes. Got a new personal best 60' time and a new 1/4 mile et time

Pass 1 (after rain)

60' 1.765
1/8et 7.282
1/8mph 101.049
1/4et 11.168
1/4mph 125.765

Pass 2

60' 1.628
1/8et 7.137
1/8mph 100.284
1/4et 11.036
1/4mph 125.592

Pass 3&4

Day started going a little down hill from here. Hit two more low 1.6 60' times. and both passes ended with 11.3s at the low 120 mark. Was having issues getting acustomed to the NLTS. And somehow managed to pop out my shift cable retaining clip on the 3rd pass. Thanks to a fellow Dsmer (DSMsleeper) on here, he loaned me a clip so I could continue.

I plan to hit the track a few more times before it get warm this summer and take advantage of this nice cool air. Very happy to have set the stock 14b mph so high. Now to match the ET and get this sucker into the 10s.

For those that are interested in the car and build I have a thread here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dsm-build-journals/455110-92-gst-stealing-14b-record-build.html

Very nice times and mph! OMG

I too have a "reverse nut" 14b, i guess will see how long that would last LOL

You fast 14b guys make me think twice about upgrading next year. Sometimes I just want to see what I can pull out of this little thing.

Very nice Justin. I'm wondering if there isn't something that can be done to keep the nut from spinning off? I wonder if a you could 'rebuild' it, tack weld the nut on opposite sides, then have it completely balanced again. Seems like a lot of work for one, but mine has 130k miles on it. Still running fine, but it probably wouldn't hurt anything.

Congrats again on the new MPH record! 60' is looking good!

Thanks guys. Always feels good hitting new milestones. Ill be at the track in 3 weeks at high elevation to see what I can muster out of my driving skills.

You fast 14b guys make me think twice about upgrading next year. Sometimes I just want to see what I can pull out of this little thing.

You can pull all the weight behind it out :p

As for the nut, im going to just pull off the o2 housing after a certain amount of passes and tighten it up. I know its a flaw that Mitsu made. Im just going to deal with it and see how long I can make the turbo last. I dont want to modify it in any way and throw off balance or toss out any red flags that I did something else to the turbo to make it run better. Not sure what would get said but I already catch a little grief about the car weighing in at 2076LBS with driver. I really dont care how light it is. Joe B's car was light and he holds the record. Im after just that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back