The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

420A 2gNT Transmission problems and codes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris99rs

Probationary Member
Nov 18, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
I have a transmission problem(s) with my car. Whenever I go onto the highway with my car, I shift normally, but when I get off the highway, the car gets stuck into 2nd gear and stays there no matter how fast I go and the RPM's go up like crazy. My dad and I have used a OBDII code reader and got the error codes 0700, 1776, and 1784 from the car. I checked the description on another website and they all seem to be related to the transmission control. Any of you guys have similar problems? I would like to know what my dad and I should do to our car before we tackle anything.

There is what I believe to be called a "solenoid pack" on the front of the transmission on the N/T's. There is a giant plug that bolts onto this piece with one bolt. Make sure it's nice and tight. When the hubby had his n/t forever ago, his would just not shift sometimes, and it ended up being that plug being loose. Easy stuff first. :)

There is what I believe to be called a "solenoid pack" on the front of the transmission on the N/T's. There is a giant plug that bolts onto this piece with one bolt. Make sure it's nice and tight. When the hubby had his n/t forever ago, his would just not shift sometimes, and it ended up being that plug being loose. Easy stuff first. :)

Thanks for the help, I will check that before I do anything else.

EDIT: We found the solenoid, and checked the plug you were talking about. We cleaned it and re-fitted it, I don't see why it would have been loose, it was screwed in. Anyways, afterwards I took it on the highway and got the same results. When I got off the highway the transmission got stuck in 2nd gear again. :( Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Code 11 or 13 or P0700 is an ECM code stating there are transmission codes stored
Code 24 or P1784 is for the L/R pressure switch sense circuit.
Code 47 or P1776 is for the solenoid switch latched in L/R-This can sometimes be caused by a mis-adjusted shifter cable/Trans. range switch. However, in your case, I believe there is more than an adjustment issue.
I have a transmission problem(s) with my car. Whenever I go onto the highway with my car, I shift normally
When code 47 is set and speed is under 45 mph, the trans will launch and operate only in second gear. When speed is above 45, you will get 3rd and 4th, but no PEMCC or FEMCC (torque converter partial or full lock up) This is why it seems to shift normally.
It would appear your problem is in one of 2 areas. Either there is an electrical problem with the L/R solenoid in the solenoid pack or the solenoid switch valve in the valve body is sticking/stuck in the L/R position, not allowing pressure to be routed correctly.
Both pieces are fairly expensive, so you may want to have a trans. shop check it out. Without a full function scan tool, it would be very difficult to nail down which component has failed.

^Thank you for your help. I can probably get it checked out sometime next week and getting the parts won't be much of a problem for me. At least I know it's nothing too serious.

Sorry for double post, but I gathered some info on my problem.

Ultradrive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The most common problems[citation needed] with A604 transmissions are poor shifting quality and sudden locks into second gear ("limp-home" mode) caused by the transmission computer detecting problems with sensor data. Nine design changes were made[citation needed] in an attempt to fix clutch failure, and four were directed to excessive shifting on hills.

After pressure from the Center for Auto Safety[citation needed], Consumer Reports and others, Chrysler promised[citation needed] to waive the $100 deductible in the warranty, provide loaners, and buy back any cars with Ultradrives that could not be fixed. Chrysler ran an unprecedented campaign[citation needed] to contact all owners of cars with Ultradrives to find and fix problems.

I am planning on heading up to the nearest Mitsubishi dealership (Spitzer Mitsubishi) to troubleshoot later today. I think I am narrowing down on the cause of the problem :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back