The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 2gNT Roll Cage help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stizzydrew

Proven Member
Nov 11, 2021
Los Angles, California
Sup guys, can any of you help me out if this is custom or is this something I can buy online. I’ve been wanting to do pretty nice roll cage to strengthen the chassis for my car because I want to build it for the twist and maybe soon sometime get it into some auto cross. My main goal atm is just suspension wise and handling. Saving to get some KW’s , good sets of tires, wheels, fender braces, sways bars, cut the spare tire storage, Strut bars, rear toe if that will help, rebuild front and rear suspension with stronger bushings including, any weight reduction and that’s all I can think of. But starting with the roll cage I would like some helpful info if it’s Something I can buy online or it’s something only custom. I’ve tried to reach out to the owner but he never responds..
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You're trying to get in contact with @byron_dsm on Instagram? I think he accepted my message requests like 3 or 4 years ago. Maybe I could reach out for you? Not saying he'll read or respond to mine either but at least it won't be filtered as a request.

On the roll cage topic... that's something that will be custom made. You're better off finding a shop that has already installed one on these cars so they already have an idea in mind

They used to make pre-bent kits a long time ago. Highly doubt it now but I haven’t searched tbh. Before you put in a cage, you’ll have to decide what seat you want to run and if you’re going to keep your panels & rear seats & if you want to run a harness. Any shop that does cages will be able to bend & install it. Idk if autox has regulations for cages so that’s something you’ll have to look into. Drag has their own set of requirements depending how fast the car is.

Being a GS model, you're nowhere near having a roll cage as a requirement. Unless you got involved in something like dirt oval racing, but based on your build thread I know you're not going in that direction.

You also might want to check the classing information with whoever you plan on running autocross. A roll cage might bump your class up (sway bars definitely will) and if your class is anything crazy forget about competing. If I had one of these cars strictly for autocross I would leave it as close to stock as possible with a good wheel/tire and spring combo so I could stay in a class like daily or mild street.

You're trying to get in contact with @byron_dsm on Instagram? I think he accepted my message requests like 3 or 4 years ago. Maybe I could reach out for you? Not saying he'll read or respond to mine either but at least it won't be filtered as a request.

On the roll cage topic... that's something that will be custom made. You're better off finding a shop that has already installed one on these cars so they already have an idea in mind
Ag okay yeah I see, I have a guy in mind who maybe might help me but I might look more into the shops. And For your other responses yeah it’s just money ain’t the best atm but I am saving for What I wanna do. Maybe it’ll happen maybe it won’t and I’ll end up just getting a gst and build that. In time hopefully just everything expensive is California LOL but yeah thanks for the replies and info😁

I understand your goal is increased handling? While chassis stiffening would certainly be worthwhile I would only consider it after you have exhausted other means of improvement and/or you have objectively determined issues that would require this.
You will get a lore more bang for buck elsewhere. A proper cage is expensive and it's intrusive for a driver. If this isn't a driver then by all means but I would still only consider it after I had excellent suspension, sway bars, bushings, wheels and above all else good tires. If you need a cage at that point by all means open up your checkbook.

I understand your goal is increased handling? While chassis stiffening would certainly be worthwhile I would only consider it after you have exhausted other means of improvement and/or you have objectively determined issues that would require this.
You will get a lore more bang for buck elsewhere. A proper cage is expensive and it's intrusive for a driver. If this isn't a driver then by all means but I would still only consider it after I had excellent suspension, sway bars, bushings, wheels and above all else good tires. If you need a cage at that point by all means open up your checkbook.
I see, thanks! Looks like I’ll upgrade more of suspension first then roll cage 😁

I see, thanks! Looks like I’ll upgrade more of suspension first then roll cage 😁
Biggest fun factor I ever did was tires. Brand new the cars came with "performance" all season type tires. I switched to something sticky and it was way different. Be warned if you choose a summer tire it is absolutely not suitable for winter driving if you need that. There are some very good all season tires now compared to 30 years ago. Please check out some of the suspension how to guides on this site.

Biggest fun factor I ever did was tires. Brand new the cars came with "performance" all season type tires. I switched to something sticky and it was way different. Be warned if you choose a summer tire it is absolutely not suitable for winter driving if you need that. There are some very good all season tires now compared to 30 years ago. Please check out some of the suspension how to guides on this site.
Yeah tires sound like a very good upgrade, I wanna get some fire hawks because I’ve heard those are good. You think those are a good competitor? I’ve watched a few YouTube videos in them and they seem good.

It's difficult to advise without knowing what you're doing with the car. Also firehawk is a subsection within the brand. There are multiple models of firehawk.
Similar to Michelin pilot. Multiple "pilot" within the brand and each one is different. I have owned some older firehawk before the indy series. Also have had models from nitto, Dunlop, kumho, bfgoodrich, sumitomo, Fulda, goodyear, falken, , yokohama and Michelin. Subjectively Michelin has been the best I've had but they are likely not my next tire.
You must choose based on driving needs. Do not forget wear and cost. Dedicated soft dry weather tires are great fun but can be worn down in under 10k or even less. It's a compromise. My last choice was to run two sets. I ran a set of Michelin pilot Supersport in summer and a dunlop all season in winter. The car is now retired and will run a dedicated summer tire only and likely softer.
If you drive the car all year there are some good all season performance tires. None will perform as well as a summer tire. Again it's all a compromise

It's difficult to advise without knowing what you're doing with the car. Also firehawk is a subsection within the brand. There are multiple models of firehawk.
Similar to Michelin pilot. Multiple "pilot" within the brand and each one is different. I have owned some older firehawk before the indy series. Also have had models from nitto, Dunlop, kumho, bfgoodrich, sumitomo, Fulda, goodyear, falken, , yokohama and Michelin. Subjectively Michelin has been the best I've had but they are likely not my next tire.
You must choose based on driving needs. Do not forget wear and cost. Dedicated soft dry weather tires are great fun but can be worn down in under 10k or even less. It's a compromise. My last choice was to run two sets. I ran a set of Michelin pilot Supersport in summer and a dunlop all season in winter. The car is now retired and will run a dedicated summer tire only and likely softer.
If you drive the car all year there are some good all season performance tires. None will perform as well as a summer tire. Again it's all a compromise
I see, yeah I’ll probably have to buy some all season then or summer and then all season, I wanna be able to experience all summer tire some sticky ones and then all season. Thanks for the advice I really do appreciate it. I take it noted.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back