The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

420A 2gNT No power to starter just click

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gelion420a

Probationary Member
Feb 6, 2022
Parkersburg, West_Virginia
I have 96 gs with a 420a 5 speed Manual I got the car 6months ago it was sitting in a old factory/storage building for 14 year after the previous owner passed but I can get no power to the starter I have replacrd the battery ofc starter,clutch safety switch,starter relay,fuel pump,tank,sending unit checked all fuses to do with ignition but only think I get is a click.

That almost sounds like a bad ignition switch. But the click you're hearing is probably the starter relay, which would mean the ignition switch is functioning. Have you checked all your ground straps? Specifically the one that is on one of the belhousing bolts. When I left mine loose once the starter was not functioning. Reinstalled it and started right up.

Yea all the grounds look fine I forgot to mention at one time a sub was wired in but no amp could the wiring for the sub have a factor in it older Sony xplod

Is there an adjustment on the clutch switch? Make sure that’s good.
I would start to diagnose from the starter. Check for 12v at the starter.
Make sure the starter bolt is grounded.
Check signal wire for 12v when ignition is turned to start.

As a test, jumper the small signal terminal on the starter to the big battery cable lug and see if it turns over or still just clicks. Sounds like a low battery issue, so make sure the battery is really up to snuff. If that makes the starter turn over, then you have a wiring issue somewhere. but the click sounds like bad 12v or ground as @BLACK'98DSM referred to.

Often bad starter large cables and their connections. If one of these is internally cracked or corroded, or the cable ends terminals connection point is dirty, corroded, rusty, or not tight, it will drop too much voltage when the large 50-80A starter current is trying to flow so there won't be enough voltage left to run the starter and you will just get a starter solenoid click. This and weak batteries are the #1 reason starters go click. I suggest replacing those large cables with ones that already have terminals on them (putting separate terminals on the cable ends always adds resistance and is a poor connection anyway). And you should have the positive go directly from battery positive to starter positive. And negative directly from battery negative to a starter mounting bolt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back