The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

420A 2gNT New clutch, Fork at an angle now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavinrich25

Proven Member
Jul 26, 2021
Roanoke, Virginia
When adjusted right car will shift smooth just like normal but clutch fork will either move over time or be crooked does anybody have a fix the transmission is from a neon or somthing with the weird pivot ball and the clutch fork is for a gsx and neither of which I can find a clutch fork for

I’m very confused with this transmission and how it works and the clutch fork situation because even another clutch fork I’ve tried for neons didn’t work I’m so annoyed what to do I have pics if anybody needs them but the car is 420a with a gsx clutch fork because that’s all I could get because nobody’s selling them

There you go. Mopar part number 4796665.

As for clutches, you would be using a K70131 modular type clutch. There are options from numerous companies.

For clutch fork pivot balls, you can do three things:
*The stock pivot ball which needs removal with a slide hammer and special puller tool - 4670240 is the part number (MOPAR). The stock pivot ball has a plastic cap that wears down over time and causes disengagement issues.
*Aftermarket 1 piece forged pivot balls are sold by Boomba - https://www.boombaracing.com/dodge-neon-srt-4-clutch-pivot-ball/
*The other way, is to remove the stock pivot ball, fixture the transmission bellhousing, drill and install a solid threaded insert, and use a Mitsubishi 3000GT clutch fork pivot ball. Something I have done on SRT4 and 420a transmissions for years.

The plastic cap on the clutch fork pivot ball is not a separate part number. The OEM part for the clutch fork pivot ball is listed above, and I gave two other options, the Boomba which is a complete replacement, and the 3000GT pivot ball which requires drilling tapping, solid threaded insert then installation.

As for removal of the pivot ball, you can make a puller tool, or buy specialized tools. I don't see why you couldn't use a vise grips with a slide hammer adapter.

Most vise grips use three sizes - 1/4"-20, 5/16"-18 or 7/16"-14 threaded adjuster screw. OTC makes an adapter set, OTC 6627, and then you can use your OTC 1156 5/8"-18 threaded rod slide hammer with a vise grip.

I use the actual dealer tools, Miller 6891 with a Miller C-3752 slide hammer.

For the installation, you can do that easily with a socket, extension and hammer.

Three things.
1. Please use proper sentence structure, spelling and punctuation. It is eye bleeding to read your posts.
2. I am not being smart about it any more than I am a veteran in this, and I am a business owner that specifically builds race transmissions and pointing out the problems and giving you detailed answers.
3. Take your time, use the search tool, read up and search threads, ask questions when you have exhausted your research, be patient, and understand that constructive criticism and flaming are completely different. This is a learning experience, treat it like that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back