The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A 2gNT How to replace crankshaft timing pulley?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Posted in the 420a section, so I'll answer for that.

I'll start by making a note about the pulley bolt. If you have a badass impact with some serious torque, then you can wait to break it loose until you're ready to pull the pulley off.
- If not, you'll need a breaker bar or long 1/2" ratchet. This bolt can be stubborn sometimes. Put it in first gear if it's a manual and brake the thing loose. If it's an auto you need to find a way to stop the engine from spinning over.

First step is to remove the power steering and A/C belt. Do this first because further steps require the front of the car to be off the ground, and because the alternator belt is the inner belt meaning it comes off second. This step is simple enough, there is a mechanical tensioner between the A/C compressor and power steering pump that you need to relieve tension from. Loosen the nut that holds the pulley in place, then start cranking back on the slide bolt. Do this until it's loose enough that you can remove the belt.

Now you need to lift the front of the vehicle and remove passenger wheel. Not necessary but gives plenty of room to work.

At this point it's time to remove the alternator belt. There is no tensioner for this, as the alternator acts as the tensioner. Loosen the lower bolts and remove the upper, now your alternator swings enough for belt removal.

Then remove the splash shield. 2 bolts connect it to the subframe and 3 plastic clips hold it to the inner fender liner. There is a cutout on it to gain access to the pulley bolt, but you still need to remove the shield since you don't have room to use a pulley removal tool with it in place.

Now you need to disconnect the passenger side engine mount. This will allow you to lower the engine approximately 2 inches, which will now allow clearance to fully slide the pulley off the crankshaft. Make sure you support the engine to prevent damage to anything. You can use an engine hoist on the stock hook that is mounted by intake manifold bolts on the passenger side. If you do not have access to an engine hoist, you need to put a jack under the engine. Do not place it directly on your oil pan or timing cover unless you feel like replacing more parts.

Now it's time to remove the pulley. If yours is anything like mine it will come off burned and in pieces. Even without any corrosion, mine did not want to come loose. I used a basic 3 jaw puller and torch. Just be careful not to damage your timing cover, it's only plastic.

A little trick to make installation of the new pulley easier is to bake the new pulley in your oven for a couple minutes and install immediately after. This will cause it to expand and slide on the crankshaft a little easier. And make sure the crankshaft is completely clean. Use rubbing alcohol and a rag. You can use brake parts cleaner too but make sure it's non-chlorinated. A chlorinated formula will eat through the timing cover from overspray.

The factory torque specification for the pulley bolt is 105 ft/lbs. It is recommended to recheck the torque after a few uses.

Here's a link to the service manual if you want it:

2G Service Manual

And I'll attach the torque specs as well below.

2G Torque Specs - Downloadable

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back