The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

420A 2gNT How to change my transmission fluid and can I use Royal Purple syncroshift fluid?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Btc89

Probationary Member
Aug 27, 2012
Joshua, Texas
I have a 95 eclipse 420a 5 speed and I want to change my transmission fluid. I don't know where to drain the transmission fluid and I know don't where to put the transmission fluid in. I want to put Royal Purple syncroshift fluid in the transmission is that safe / okay to put in the transmission?

is it ok? sure. I would go with lucas 75-90 though. Theres a thread hear almost on the same subject. Theres much debate, apparently, on what to use. i would be safe and go with gear oil. I would use MAX GEAR oil if you decide on R.P.,Royal purple is good stuff, but lucas I.M.O. is the way to go.It drains out through the drain bolt on the tranny. then above it , and twords the firewall there is a smaller fill bolt. Take that bolt out and fill it until it starts to slightly pour out of that hole. Then your good to go.

you will see a bolt similar to an oil pan bolt below the axle. Thats the bolt.It is on the lower side of the tranny. not on the bottom of it. Sorry , I wish I had a pic. Let me go find one.think its a 24 mm for the drain and 17 mm for the fill.
cant find a pic sorry.

if you actually get under your car and look at the tranny it says drain right next to the bolt. the bolt is on the drivers side of the tranny at the bottom. the fill spot is a rubber plug that pulls right out. the rubber plug is above the drain bolt to the right. i can reach mine from the top of the car and pull it out. you will need a pump to fill up the trans with fluid which you can get at autozone. you can use any brand of oil just make sure that it is the right weight of oil.

Okay. If I get Royal Purple Syncroshift what weight of oil should I get?

Just remember guys he has a 420a, not a 4g63, the 4g63 has for sure a 17mm fill plug on the front for the FWD models. The drain is on the bottom and id say close to if not IS 24mm. His trans is also on the opposite side.

Okay. If I get Royal Purple Syncroshift what weight of oil should I get?

dont use synchroshift. get the gearmax 75-90

Just remember guys he has a 420a, not a 4g63, the 4g63 has for sure a 17mm fill plug on the front for the FWD models. The drain is on the bottom and id say close to if not IS 24mm. His trans is also on the opposite side.

yes, good call. I remembered the tranny is on the driverside. but I guess my memory is shot. i know its a 24mm bolt to drain, I just thought it also had a 17mm fill bolt. Either way, its easy to find.

dont use synchroshift. get the gearmax 75-90

yes, good call. I remembered the tranny is on the driverside. but I guess my memory is shot. i know its a 24mm bolt to drain, I just thought it also had a 17mm fill bolt. Either way, its easy to find.

What's wrong with syncroshift?

What's wrong with syncroshift?

It will be your personal preference, There are stories on google where syncroshif has ruined their transmiassions. I would not use anything except for gear oil. R.P. makes gearmax, which will be great had have a longer life.

Have to be careful running fluids not designed to with with a Chrysler tranny.

Syncros are felt lined and other fluids don't have the FM (friction modifier) in it to work with the felt, otherwise, the syncros will eventually wear out quicker. One has to use special fluids for Chrysler trannies.

If he was a F5M33 Mitsu tranny, then other stuff is okey (personally, I use Redline MT-90 .. great stuff)

Either run dealer fluid, or the ATF that they recommend. I am running amsoil gear oil. Its made to work with the Chrysler transmission. Shifts great

Use ATF+4 or the Mopar Manual Transaxle Lubricant T350 (essentially a detergent laden SAE30/5w40) gear oil with OEM transmissions. The amsoil ATF is a good synthetic option if you want to go that route. As well, you could always do Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30 for abusive driving on stock parts.

ONLY if the transmission has been rebuilt with full brass synchros... would I recommend a different gear oil, and in that case a standard 80w90 or Redline MT-85 (essentially a synthetic GL4 75w85 that works well with yellow brass synchros commonly used as rebuild replacements/upgrades) would be excellent choices. The factory felt/paper lined synchros in the f5mc1 (aka T350 or A578) are not compatible with the standard recommended options that some of the other users referred to as they have no idea the difference of a synchro friction lining let alone the differences between a Mitsubishi transmission vs. a New Venture transmission.

I have a 95 eclipse 420a manual tranny. Chrysler tranny. I just did a clutch not long ago and I used the fluid it specifically called for. Its AC delco auto trak 2 transfer case fluid. I researched the shit out of this and after reading good things as well as horror stories I tracked down the specified stuff. I found it finally at Jeff wyler for $9 a quart. Takes two quarts to fill and the fill plug is a rubber plug not a bolt. Its located thru the driver wheelwell to the right of the halfshaft.

Small correction. The horror stories were about using other fluids. Just noticed I wasn't very specific about that. Sorry

you will see a bolt similar to an oil pan bolt below the axle. Thats the bolt.It is on the lower side of the tranny. not on the bottom of it. Sorry , I wish I had a pic. Let me go find one.think its a 24 mm for the drain and 17 mm for the fill.
cant find a pic sorry.

I looked at my transmission today and I still don't know where the fill it or drain the fluid. I didn't want to start pulling bolts out. Here is a pic of my trans.

Attachments

• Trans mits e.jpg
    Trans mits e.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 108
I am changing my transmission fluid and I have no clue where the drain bolt or the fill bolt is.

That being an american tranny, I would be highly surprised if it had a drain plug. Most likely you will drain it by dropping the pan wnd refill it via the dipstick tube. Thats the american way!!! If it did have a drain plug, it will be on the pan

Right underneath your battery panel should be the rubber plug it has a tongue that sticks out and its black its on the differential housing topside but facing your driverside tire you can grab it with a pliers and yank it out. when i did mine 2 weeks ago took me a while to figure it out and is full when you stick your finger in hole and can feel top of liquid,

No.... The fill plug is right above the inboard cv axle, it's a rubber plug and is a pain in the ass unless you have a funnel with a tube , or a pump of some kind.... The drain is similar to the oil drain plug and is located under the transaxle... Good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back