The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

420A 2gNT How does my engine look?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stizzydrew

Proven Member
Nov 11, 2021
Los Angles, California
Here’s some photos of my 420a with out the valve cover.. 217k miles on it, does it look bad? Normal? Good? I am worried about that one orange spot. I’m not sure what it is. Hopefully someone can let me on some info they see that I don’t.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Looks pretty normal for that kind of mileage to me. The orange paint is just some kind of identification, I assume, nothing to worry about.

Is it running ok? You can turn the engine over by hand and make sure all the lifters are operating properly and also check that the rollers on the rockers spin freely.

The head looks pretty clean for having 217k miles. What does your oil look like after an oil change? Is it clean or does it have a glittery shine to it? Have you ran a compression test on the cylinders?

Also, it looks like you have a exhaust leak on cylinder #1. probably needs a new exhaust gasket.

The head looks pretty clean for having 217k miles. What does your oil look like after an oil change? Is it clean or does it have a glittery shine to it? Have you ran a compression test on the cylinders?

Also, it looks like you have a exhaust leak on cylinder #1. probably needs a new exhaust gasket.
How can you tell there is an exhaust leak from the picture that where posted?

Looks pretty normal for that kind of mileage to me. The orange paint is just some kind of identification, I assume, nothing to worry about.

Is it running ok? You can turn the engine over by hand and make sure all the lifters are operating properly and also check that the rollers on the rockers spin freely.
Oh okay yeah hopefully it’s just some kind of identification, but yes the car runs good. Used to overheat but after I changed that with new coolant hoses, new intake, and new coolant. After then I’ve taken the car 50+ miles out for trips and never given me problems. Transmission is more of a headache. Engine good , transmission is questionable.

The oil after a change is just black. No shiny glitter. I’ll show you a photo of what it looked like. But yes I have noticed that black spot. I’m sure it’s an exhaust leak and I will be getting to that sometime this upcoming week.
Here’s the photo of the oil after an oil change. This was when I first got the car. It say for 2+ years so I’m not sure how many miles the oil had before I changed it.

I did also drive the car for awhile before doing an oil change so the oil did have some time used in the engine when I had it.

I also haven’t done a cylinder compression check because I don’t have the equipment to do so. Sometime soon I think I will take to my mechanic or look into buying a compressor for the engine to check.

The oil after a change is just black. No shiny glitter. I’ll show you a photo of what it looked like. But yes I have noticed that black spot. I’m sure it’s an exhaust leak and I will be getting to that sometime this upcoming week.
Here’s the photo of the oil after an oil change. This was when I first got the car. It say for 2+ years so I’m not sure how many miles the oil had before I changed it.

The oil looks good to me. If you see glitter in your oil, its a sign of wear and you would have a major problem.

Sometimes the auto shops like AutoZone will lend you the tool you need like a compression tester... Here in Canada, you can borrow a tool from Canadian Tire as long as you have a valid credit card...If you don't return it they bill your credit card.

Have to agree the head looks very clean for 217k. Usually the whole thing is a bronzeish color from oil staining.

Also I beleive the exhaust leak is on #4 not #1. The 420a has the cylinders in the opposite order as the 4g63. The black spot I see is on the right side. Before changing the exhaust manifold gasket I would verify there is a leak. The valve cover gaskets and cam sensor love to leak on these engines so it may be just an oil leak

Have to agree the head looks very clean for 217k. Usually the whole thing is a bronzeish color from oil staining.

Also I beleive the exhaust leak is on #4 not #1. The 420a has the cylinders in the opposite order as the 4g63. The black spot I see is on the right side. Before changing the exhaust manifold gasket I would verify there is a leak. The valve cover gaskets and cam sensor love to leak on these engines so it may be just an oil leak

umm... didn't notice it was a 420a.:oops:. I would agree to double check the valve cover gasket and cam sensor but if you look at the point where the valve cover meets the head, there isn't a lot of black staining which makes me think its an exhaust gasket issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back