The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

420A 2gNT high rpm no acceleration

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethenp23

Proven Member
Jun 24, 2021
Midland tx, Texas
I have a 95 talon esi (420) and am dealing with this weird rpm hesitation every time I go on a drive it drives fine but when I come to a stop then go it revs all the way up to like 7k and barely acceleration then eventually it gets up to speed what causes this ?

Do you know if or when the transmission fluid was changed? Has it ever been rebuilt or replaced?

No but I do believe it was eventually changed by previous owner. I say because the fluid looks great no burning smell nothing car has 135k on the clock but has never been abused neither. I was going to perform another oil change since it’s been 5k miles and I’m guessing the new mixed a bit with the old so will be flushing it with new oil once again and I like to keep fluids up to date. I also put new fuel pump in 3 hours ago

I’ve heard it could be limp mode ofc but i replaced etax relay, tcu, input/output speed sensors, fuel filter, ecu and fuel pump as mentioned.

So how do I change transmission fluid?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't necessarily implying that the fluid needs to be changed. I was just wondering if the transmission has been properly serviced, because if it hasn't that leads to premature wear.
So what do you suggest I do ? Just take it to get it checked out ?

might be that turbine is leaking and won't get enough pressure, is it leaking any transoil? or it might just have worn out in general, do you have check engine light on btw?

Do you have check engine light on btw?
No check engine light at all.

Would like to also mention it idles great, needle doesn’t surge or jump a bit and when I drive it for the first 10 minutes it’s fine then all of a sudden it bogs down and when I press gas pedal rpm’s go high with very slow acceleration. Also when I come to a complete stop the proceed forward it takes me like half a damn mile to get up to speed.

I would just take the trans oil pan out and see if there's any metal dust on the bottom, change filter and oil, and see what happens

I would just take the trans oil pan out and see if there's any metal dust on the bottom, change filter and oil, and see what happens
Do you have any diagram I could see or look at? I have no idea how to drop the pan. Do I feed new oil through the dipstick?

And if there is metal do I just try my best to get rid of it all ?

you just need common sense for that, and if there's metal, you need a need a rebuild or a new transmission, rebuilding transmission is not entry level stuff so I don't suggest you to do it by yourself, otherwise just take it to the shop or someone who works on cars

you just need common sense for that.

I asked those simple questions because I did research on this a awhile back in a old thread, nothing but a bunch of grown men arguing about where the fill plug and drain plug is and I never found out.

I just got done driving after new fuel pump and now it goes into 1st, 2nd, but won’t hit 3rd.

Properly check your transmission fluid level first, remember that it has to be checked warm with the engine running in neutral.
I was doing some research, is it possible that I could have a simple bad rear brakes?

Before my car started acting up I had slammed on them to avoid a crash, 30 minutes later of driving and braking normally all of a sudden I had a hard time going from a stop then started to hear knocking from wheel well. I replaced the front brake pads, rotors, calibers, ect, the noise stopped and I could also accelerate a bit better now coming from a stop.

The only thing I haven’t checked are my rear brake pads, caliper, rotors, ect.
Do you think they could be my problem? Because it only gets harder for me to take off from a stop each time I use the brakes. It’s as if the piston in the brake caliper slowly compresses and never contracts to original position causing it to be harder and harder each time I try to take off which is causing my car not to shift into a high gear because it sees it as I’m braking and accelerating at the same time.

What do you think ?

Sure, if your rear brake calipers are sticking that will slow your car down, are the rear rotors hot after driving for a few miles?

So I just got back driving from work and my front brakes are hot but my rear brakes are not even warm? It is only 30 degrees here and it only gets hard for me drive from a stop when my car is in hot temperatures. This is confusing, now only when my car is warmed up is when it starts acting like that.

So I just got back driving from work and my front breaks are hot but my rear brakes are not even warm????? But it is 30 degrees here and it only gets hard for me drive from a stop when my car is in hot temperatures…this is confusing now only when my car is warmed up is when it starts acting like that
Did you replace the hoses also?
Define "hot" brakes. Like glowing?
I have seen firsthand brake lines that deteriorated and acted like a check valve. You could apply brakes easily but they didn't let off easily. Acted like brakes were stuck but it wasn't the caliper or slides.

Did you replace the hoses also?
Define "hot" brakes. Like glowing?
I have seen firsthand brake lines that deteriorated and acted like a check valve. You could apply brakes easily but they didn't let off easily. Acted like brakes were stuck but it wasn't the caliper or slides.
I replaced everything thing that involves braking in the front I just haven’t done the rear and not glowing hot just a normal temp hot it was not to hot to worry about and you say check valve interesting… and the breaks do apply easily has me wondering

I have a 95 talon esi (420) and am dealing with this weird rpm hesitation every time I go on a drive it drives fine but when I come to a stop then go it revs all the way up to like 7k and barely acceleration then eventually it gets up to speed what causes this ?
The 7k though. That isn't brakes.

The 7k though. That isn't brakes.

Well it could be, because the 7k rpm only starts when I brake and go multiple times from a stop. Then it feels like I’m being held back as if my brakes are stopping so it feels like I’m stopping and driving at the same time which probably causes my rpm to go high without any acceleration, no?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back