The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 2gNT GS rear brake upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyv344

Proven Member
Aug 12, 2021
South_Carolina
I was wondering if there was a big brake kit upgrade for the rear for a 2g RS, GS, and GST

Last edited:
Rs and gs had drums so any gst or gsx with a rotor and caliper option would be a good start thats very cost effective.

Why do you wish to get a big brake kit on the rears? Do you currently have a brake kit on the front? Over braking the rear will not be helpful to you and will cause you more issues then its worth.

Unless you have a front brake kit to balance out the bigger rears just opt for the stock GST/GSX rear brake setup.

You will need a few things to complete the entire job so you may wish to find a donor chassis and remove all the parts you can without breaking them for the chassis you currently have

Rs and gs had drums so any gst or gsx with a rotor and caliper option would be a good start thats very cost effective.

Why do you wish to get a big brake kit on the rears? Do you currently have a brake kit on the front? Over braking the rear will not be helpful to you and will cause you more issues then its worth.

Unless you have a front brake kit to balance out the bigger rears just opt for the stock GST/GSX rear brake setup.

You will need a few things to complete the entire job so you may wish to find a donor chassis and remove all the parts you can without breaking them for the chassis you currently have
i'm in the process of rebuilding my 420a in my 98 gs and wanted to find an affordable big brake kit i can install that's completely plug and play.

There are a lot information on front big brake kit for the 2g eclipse, but i couldn't find any information for the rear brakes.

I wasn't sure that the rear GSX calipers would fit on a GS without some type of fabrication

they made GS with disc brakes fyi

i'm in the process of rebuilding my 420a in my 98 gs and wanted to find an affordable big brake kit i can install that's completely plug and play.

There are a lot information on front big brake kit for the 2g eclipse, but i couldn't find any information for the rear brakes.

I wasn't sure that the rear GSX calipers would fit on a GS without some type of fabrication
how much horse power you have in your GS? is it turbo charged?

if you need to convert you will need to do a conversion anyway for ANY BBK to work, converting from drums will need backing plates and internal shoes etc etc, THEN you open up things like evo rear brembos, TCE kts, I will also have a rear kit soon myself to offer. so you have MANY options for the rear kits

I noticed you now changed your OP which is not ideal! so which are you? RS with drums, GS with drums or GS with rear rotors already?

your post is a little basic and helpless for us so Im actually GUESSING here you have drums since you cannot find any kits available, because you WILL find kits for rear rotor chassis so based on that we need a specific from YOU what your car currently has

they made GS with disc brakes fyi
I got a GS chassis also and those are drums so i think it was spec offered. i knew of the GS being rotors as a few here have rotors on their GS here. not exactly knowing WHAT he had i just went with drums since he cannot find anything and drums you wont BUT rotors you WILL find info on rear kits thats why my reply was based on the drum so you know.

180 hp NA stage 2 cams, forged pistons and rods with 10.5:1 compression, with a lightweight flywheel and catback exhaust
just get some dual fronts from the GSX stock rears with upgraded pads and rotors and thats all you will need. good front pads will do you for good upto about 250-300 at least, saves you a bunch also

I don’t see any way that you’re going to overwhelm stock discs with good pads on a lower-powered DSM, especially on the back. The back does so little braking that a big brake kit is absolutely wasteful in this case.

if you need to convert you will need to do a conversion anyway for ANY BBK to work, converting from drums will need backing plates and internal shoes etc etc, THEN you open up things like evo rear brembos, TCE kts, I will also have a rear kit soon myself to offer. so you have MANY options for the rear kits

I noticed you now changed your OP which is not ideal! so which are you? RS with drums, GS with drums or GS with rear rotors already?

your post is a little basic and helpless for us so Im actually GUESSING here you have drums since you cannot find any kits available, because you WILL find kits for rear rotor chassis so based on that we need a specific from YOU what your car currently has

I got a GS chassis also and those are drums so i think it was spec offered. i knew of the GS being rotors as a few here have rotors on their GS here. not exactly knowing WHAT he had i just went with drums since he cannot find anything and drums you wont BUT rotors you WILL find info on rear kits thats why my reply was based on the drum so you know.
Its a GS with disc rotors

Its a GS with disc rotors
Then you already have many options. I listed a few in my last reply, start with those. you really dont need a rear BBK for your car. if you do then keep it simple and just get evo brembos if you can find a kit cheap enough but remember over braking the rear and not doing the front WILL cause issues for you

Just get some Brembo track pads and new rotors. It will stop very well. There really isn't a need for drilled rotors since the rear brakes shouldn't be getting hot enough to warp. You're just losing surface area but you can upgrade the rotors too just for looks if you want. The only way I see a full rear brake system upgrade as necessary is if you're constantly doing harsh braking from 100+ mph. But a GS without a tune won't even trap that much speed in the quarter mile.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back