The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

420A 2gNT gear select arm

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98RedDragon

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 11, 2005
Eagan, Minnesota
i just bought a used n/t transmission and i got it installed and everything put back together, but there is 1 major problem with it. when you try to shift into 2-4-r its like the shifter hits a brick wall, so i pulled the battery and looked at the cables-looked fine- so then i decided to pull the cables of and try to shift by hand. when i tried to shift into 2nd or reverse, the small arm (i think gear select arm),the hole shaft, moved up about 1/8" of an inch, and returns to normal once you put it back to neutral.I dont think this is normal.

does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be?
thanks
-Neal

update:
i tried driving around the block, fourth gear grinds, also i am getting no signal out of the speed sensor.
thanks,
-neal

Ok your smaller lever moves up and down 1/8 inch.....there is a plastic clip that keeps the shaft where it needs to be. By lifting it up you disengaging the selector arm from the shifter fork selector. You need to pull that trans again and have it fixed or fix it. That problem will not just go away.

As far as the grinding......there are other issues in that trans. Sounds like the synchro assy's are possibly worn.

Terry

i had a local shop look at the car while i was at work and they told me that the problem is not from the shift linkage, clutch, but it is a sign that the transmission is wearing out and is in need of a rebuild, they also told me that i should return the trans to the selller.

i am trying to get a refund and hopefully i will get a new one from TRE within the month.
THANKS GUYS!!
-neal

yeah well nevermind to that then haha, my buddy told me that they sold the fwd trans, but maybe he confused it with the turbo trans. thanks for clearing that up haha

well sure enough i am being blamed for the issues with the transmission because i installed it, the shop on the other hand said that the problems could not be on my part. the seller thinks its because of shipping, i didnt know synchros wore out while being shipped haha.
just wanted to give the update
-neal

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back