The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A 2gNT Gear oil fill plug?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjames_

Probationary Member
Dec 6, 2021
Indianapolis, Indiana
I have a 98 rs eclipse just changed the clutch, cant seem to find the gear oil fill plug, i found a rubber stopper on the driverside tranny but i think thats for the trans fluid?

Gear oil and trans fluid, same thing. Are you unsure about something here?
Thats kinda what i was thinking was just unsure because i saw two drain plugs but only one fill plug

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The 420a's manual transmission is the NVT-350. It does NOT take gear oil. That will cause damage. Recommended fluids are:

Mopar ATF +4
10w-30 high mileage engine oil
Synchromesh
And apparently Redline trans fluid... I've never used that one but I've used all 3 of the others in the past and can verify they work.

The fill plug is that rubber plug with the nipple in your picture next to the axle. I never use it though. I always remove the speedometer gear on the top of the transmission. It's underneath the air intake pipe and held in place by one 10mm bolt.

The NVT-350 holds 2.1 quarts of fluid. A long skinny funnel makes things easier. If you were going to fill through the fill plug you would need to add a piece of rubber hose to the end and run the risk of making a mess. That's why I used the speedo hole.

The drain plug is the horizontally mounted one. It's a good idea to replace the crush washer on it. You could just buy a magnetic drain plug and it comes with a new washer. The thread pitch is M14x1.5
I'd remove the speedo gear before draining the fluid. This will prevent a vacuum in the trans and allow the fluid to drain much quicker and less messy.

From the picture I can see that your driver side axle seal is severely damaged. I recommend replacing it since you'll have the fluid drained anyway. No since in filling it up with fresh fluid for it to leak it back out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back