The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A 2gNT Excessive Shifter Slop Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolZino

Probationary Member
Oct 19, 2022
Brampton, ON_Canada
Hey new to actually posting on forums - usually just lurk so if I do something wrong just let me know.

So recently bought a 97 Eclipse RS and the shifter had a bunch of side to side play and sat a little bit to the left (towards the driver side). I assumed it was the bushings and the return spring but after opening the center console up I see that the bracket actually looks like it broke.

Seems to be the issue so I was just thinking what the best way to approach this would be? I ordered a Megan short shifter and was wondering if that purple piece would fix the issue or if I should maybe put some JB Weld on it.

Thanks

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
That splatter doesn't look factory. Hard to say from the pictures but to me it looks like the stick itself has been rewelded. But for the piece you're talking about, just weld that sucker up. A bead right around the original circle. Or if you can't weld, take it some place. That shouldn't be too much money to weld. I've never messed with the shirt throw shifters, always heard they were bad so can't comment on those. Any kind of epoxy isn't going to last on that unfortunately

I would re weld and fix the stock shifter. Chances are your short throw is gonna be garbage and have more slop and be worse than what you have. The only short throw I heard of being good in these cars are the b&m and they are discontinued and will fetch a pretty penny nowadays most likely. Go to dsm3d creations and order a set of bushings for the entire shifter and you’ll be helping a good cause at the same time. Also I’m speaking from personal experience with the Megan short throw. Had one in for a little bit and put the stock one back in. It is garbage and I ended throwing it in the scrap pile 10 years ago.
-Daniel

That splatter doesn't look factory. Hard to say from the pictures but to me it looks like the stick itself has been rewelded. But for the piece you're talking about, just weld that sucker up. A bead right around the original circle. Or if you can't weld, take it some place. That shouldn't be too much money to weld. I've never messed with the shirt throw shifters, always heard they were bad so can't comment on those. Any kind of epoxy isn't going to last on that unfortunately
Hey, thanks for the reply.

Haha yeah my first thoughts were 'damn that welding job' but the stick itself is fine. I can definitely weld the circle or again do the JB Weld concrete-like paste (if it gets hot in there maybe exhaust manifold paste instead?) Was just wondering if I'd do it from the side (circle) or from the top - front what youre saying I'll just position it properly and weld a circle, correct?

I would re weld and fix the stock shifter. Chances are your short throw is gonna be garbage and have more slop and be worse than what you have. The only short throw I heard of being good in these cars are the b&m and they are discontinued and will fetch a pretty penny nowadays most likely. Go to dsm3d creations and order a set of bushings for the entire shifter and you’ll be helping a good cause at the same time.
-Daniel
Well I already ordered it so may as well try it out and hopefully it's decent - but yeah definitely gonna fix up that bracket

Hopefully it’s a lot better. I didn’t mind the throw that you received from the shifter it was about the decent part about it. Just the rest of the machining tolerances; everything was sloppy and the shifter return spring wouldn’t work very well. I’m hoping they fixed these issues and you tell me I’m wrong 👍🏼.
- Daniel

I've been using a Megan Racing short shifter for nearly 3 years. It doesn't have any sloppiness to it besides a slight side-to-side wiggle in 1st gear only, which is gone in other gears oddly enough. I also have polyurethane Energy Suspension shifter plate bushings.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Haha yeah my first thoughts were 'damn that welding job' but the stick itself is fine. I can definitely weld the circle or again do the JB Weld concrete-like paste (if it gets hot in there maybe exhaust manifold paste instead?) Was just wondering if I'd do it from the side (circle) or from the top - front what youre saying I'll just position it properly and weld a circle, correct?

Well I already ordered it so may as well try it out and hopefully it's decent - but yeah definitely gonna fix up that bracket
Sorry for the delay man been out of town. I can't see super good in your picture but yea I would just weld the crack on the outside of the fixture. Basically like they originally welded it but you'd be welding over top of their weld. That shouldn't see that much stress so I'm thinking it might have been abused in the past

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back