The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

420A 2gNT Eclipse won't start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensational7

Probationary Member
Oct 27, 2022
Saint Cloud, Florida
very vague question but i currently own a 1996 eclipse 2.0L that unfortunately does not start or run, ive replaced the battery, starter, and the fuel pump sounds good, i’ve figured its wiring since the wiring on this car is horrible but im getting abit lost and could use some direction.

(ill add requested photos if needed)

Spark, fuel, and compression. Check for those 3 first. Pull out the plugs and they should probably be fuel-soaked if you've been cranking it and it won't start. Clean em, crank the car with them out and watch for spark. If you have that then check compression.

Plug wire order might be off. Post pics of said shitty wiring

Spark, fuel, and compression. Check for those 3 first. Pull out the plugs and they should probably be fuel-soaked if you've been cranking it and it won't start. Clean em, crank the car with them out and watch for spark. If you have that then check compression.

Plug wire order might be off. Post pics of said shitty wiring

i checked my plugs, turned out i didn’t even have spark plugs for my car LOL and the tubing for the spark plugs were dry/ were not fuel soaked.

i also don't have pictures of the wiring but a basic explanation is that there are loose/cut/random wires all along the engine bay.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

i put in a battery btw

here are some videos of the sounds i go

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that explains why your plugs are not fuel soaked and you don’t have spark?!? Sounds like a problem with the starter? Does the motor turn over by hand? Your fuel injectors will not squirt fuel if your not getting a rpm signal same with the plugs. The motor needs to at least spin over before anything will happen. See if the motor spins by hand at the harmonic balancer first. If it does check the voltage at the starter and the starter relay.

Why does your exhaust have no bolts connecting the header to the head?

-Good luck, Daniel

Why does your exhaust have no bolts connecting the header to the head?

I was gonna unbolt the exhaust to try to get more access to the starter but I didn’t have the right size for a wrench.

No the motor doesn’t turn over.

Quick question, the plugs send signals to the injectors so they can send fuel?
By that fact, me getting spark plugs should allow the injectors to squirt fuel? And how do I spin the motor at the harmonic balancer, I'm kinda new to this stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
Both the spark plugs and the injectors are driven by the Powertrain Control Module (The ECU in 420A speak). The PCM knows when to do so based on the Crank and Cam sensors.
Until the engine is spinning the PCM won't see those signals and won't fire either.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back