The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

420A 2gNT did head job put back together now no start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robzill1986

Probationary Member
Apr 2, 2013
swanville, Minnesota
I have a 96 eclipse 420a n/t just got head re done put in bc cams stage two new spring retainer new crank sensor cam sensor new msd coil pack but when put all together there not constint power to center coil pack wier and weak pulse powerwhen turning over looked at wiering checked plugs checked timming all good it ran ta were i parked the car befor i toke head off now together will not start fule rail fills up but injecters not shotting in lost idk whqt ealse ta try can help me ###zz motor cranks over

Any sugestens anyone need help

Try checking the compression . And check for spark if u have spark fuel and compression it should start. Maybe check for codes .

I dont have anything ta check compressin but kno when cranking gets to fule rail but injecter plug dosnt have a consistent 12 volts either but has pulse of .5 ta .7 of volts just like coil pack wiering it ran when was parked after head job this it getting fusterating been together for 5 days and been threw wirering but ecu i have talked to other people they say it wouldnt just go out i had battery disconected be for and dint put back on till was 100% done with job i get 12 volts for about 3 seconds when first turn key then goes away and dont get it while cranking

Also bottom end was rebuilt about 30k ago

Last edited by a moderator:
Car ran befor head job put together it pules voltage ta coil pack and injectors .5 ta .7 volts but dosnt keep constant 12volts to them witch meaning not getting spark nore am i getting injectors to put fule in motor why would this be cas sensor good crank sensor good got new msd coil pack why wont it start after just doing a simpale head job it cranks over timming is dead on any clues why and ecu is good tried a buddys outta his car still nuttin

Have checked. all taken off for head was cam sensor, temp sensor, and coil pack . still juice not flowing right. cant get consistant 12volts to msd of injectors. went threw all grounds. made sure good conections. nadda about ta take head back off i just dumped 2700 dollars in it know this. been talking to auto shop everything they say already checked u think if got new wiering harness would be problem for sum reason? Thats about all i can think of but dont make sense when ran befor head job

Could this maybe be a faiulty crank sensor im outta ideas gonna bring back and replace and pray. what do u guys think

K well put this way timming dead on. i checked . made sure number one piston was top dead senter also. k new info. now im getting. 12 volts to cam sensor on two out side wiers and nuthing in the middle wier. when turn the key engine light comes on for a few sec. then shuts off like normal. coil pack out side wier pulse while cranking. check with meter says from. half volt to .7 of volt but do not get 12 volts to center. i get 12 volts to center for a couple seconds when i first turn key on. i have went threw wiering all looks well . do u guys think some how ignition went out for sum reason? i wouldnt think so but i could be thinking wrong

You really do need someone else to type for you man because what your saying is confusing. I bet you have cel codes so thats the first thing i would check since your lost. Did you rebuild the head or did a machine shop? If your not getting power to the injectors then you might need to replace the injector harness. You have a 96 without flat pins on the coil sensor how did you hook up the msd coil pack? Did you cut the sensor and rewire it?

Yes i got all new conector ends for coil pack , cam & crank sensors also had to. made sure all ran in as did on other plugs i have thought of just getting new wiering harness. had head done at napa it was ported , polished , shaved and ported valves so et right with new ones thats what they all did with head. i toke the head off and reinstalled it im thinking i might bring in . i had car together for 2 weeks and fant fuiger it out. and im talking off a cell phone half of the time im typing cant c so ### work with me on that thos car is rilly starting ta get on my nerves and i am lost

Starting to wish i just would have stayed with integra gs i have done two of those never no problems like this i just wanted sumttin new and i liked these eclipse body styles and now bottom end was done a year ago now did head now this bs

And caf haa no rust at all . so i wanted i have a total of about 8 grand in it. and i think i might regret this project . stuck more in this then others ### was planning on keeping it. but is the most problem car i have had now and now im. lost :banghead:

Welcome to the word of DSM's!! It sounds like something isn't wired right into the msd's. it's really hard to follow what your saying, and I'm using my iPhone to type and comes out clear on my end. I know your frustrated, but take a minute and slow down and give us better info to work with and read. Are you sure timing is right, all sensors plugged in right, no blown fuses or bad relays? Retrace your work and I'm sure you will see the problem.

I guarantee your problem is with those sensor you wired in. Especially since its the cam, crank and coil sensors you decided to play with. You cant just twist the wires together and put tape on it. Use butt connectors and do proper stripping. That msd coil you bought is junk the oem is better just so you know in the future. You havnt yet to say how its not starting? Is it turning over but wont fire? or is it not doing anything? You have alot that could be wrong since you took the head off. Post up pictures of your ground wires if you can.

No i dint just twist together used but connectors then put tape around them did wire by wire to make sure was done right . checked them three time and looked at sensors plunging to make sure wires went to right spot i can't take pics right now. i am at work. but can later if fuiger out how to post them on her e and what grounds wanna c motor or body or all i never touched any to take head off but never know i guess. im just passed i have like 30 hrs looking at it over and over again and im sure when find will be retarded thing that's pissing me off so much i just fell it

O yea and car dose crank over just won't start do to no constant 12 volts to coil pack or injectors im sure that's why they won't function. right

If your battery or alternator is weak then you will not get the proper voltage to the sensors which will give you false readings. Why ask why? You should get a chilton and read up or something.

If car don't run won't charge have cranked on it a bit still not dead and put charger on last night because i don't wanna run it dead . so i don't think this is a problem but good idea if was running. then died

Bat i charged once when was getting lower ### tryin tape crank over. i said screw it and hauled. it to auto shop. its stressing me out to much. they should be able to fuiger it out hopefully. I never bring anything in but this on has been done for two weeks and all get is crank crank crank. no go go. but there's a first to everything i know the shop guys that work there so they will tell me whsts up when fuiger it out then ill let u guys know. chevy are still the easiest to work on integral never had issues with that couldn't be resolved in a few hours time i guess gotta learn more about these eclipses this is my first one ever owned and try to upgrade goin for a lily over 300 hp on non turned motor but suckere just won't go tons of bills but guess they don't wanna go if they don't fuiger it out i am gonna pull motor. watch it get crushed. . that's how aggravated this car has got me

I had the same problem but without replacing the original coil pack. When the head gets removed on these cars, the coil pack plug pulls back n becomes shorter. I made the mistake of plugging in the speed snsr into the coil pack since its longer, n the coil packs plug into the speed sensor. They are identical and fit right in! Try swapping those two plugs. Let me know how it goes.

Oh and another thing.. Check ## main relays. There is 2 relays on N/T 2g's bolted to the firewall between the brake master cyl and the clutch master cyl. There's 3 relays on Gst's. The one on the left is ## fuel pump relay and the one on the right is ## ASD relay. The ASD relay controls both the ignition and fuel on these cars. For some reason my ASD relay went out when I did my valve job. After I swapped those plugs I mentioned earlier my car ran for like 2 seconds n shut off. I replaced the ADS relay n then it cranked up n It's been driving fine ever since. :)

Thanks for the info i will call the shop i dropped it off to and tell them to check it thanks one of the actually. more helpful things. to try out. i will call them have them look and get back to u thanks

I know asd relay is good i brought in and had tested

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back