The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

420A 2gNT Clutch engagement issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavinrich25

Proven Member
Jul 26, 2021
Roanoke, Virginia
Hey guys was driving home from work heard a loud pop and then the clutch wasent engaging right every gear grinds then got it home cut the car off and put it in gear while running once but now I can’t start it and get it into gear anybody have idea? Assuming I have to take the trans off? As well as does anybody know if I have to do anything to pt cruiser gear selecter I have a spare laying around but it looks diff

What ever you do, don't drive it like this unless you want to replace synchronizers.

Sounds like you still have clutch pedal pressure. In that case, I'd venture to guess something like a dampener spring popped loose from the disk and is now lodged under a pressure plate finger. Do you hear a rattling noise from the bell housing area when the car is running and in neutral? More than likely you'll need to pull the trans and have a look.

Hey guys was driving home from work heard a loud pop and then the clutch wasent engaging right every gear grinds then got it home cut the car off and put it in gear while running once but now I can’t start it and get it into gear anybody have idea? Assuming I have to take the trans off? As well as does anybody know if I have to do anything to pt cruiser gear selecter I have a spare laying around but it looks diff
I know after finally putting my car back together recently the clutch master cylinder was out. Another component to think about.

Bought new everything, put a pt cruiser trans in new clutch fork new flex plate another throughout bearing new colt uh and the problems fixed however it seems like it drags kinda the whole way down the pedal I’d that makes since when I’m off and it doesn’t bite till last second is that somthing that can be fixed I read somwhere we don’t have much of a pedal adjustment

There's only 2 adjustments for the pedal. One sets the resting height of your pedal. Unless it appears to be sitting lower than the brake pedal then that shouldn't be your issue. The other adjustment is where the pedal assembly connects to the master cylinder. Try adjusting it back and forth and see what changes. Your issue could just lie in the clutch not being broken in. People will say that there isn't a break in period for organic clutches but they always feel different after a few hundred miles. It still shouldn't be dragging though.

Also did you notice any oil behind the flexplate or in the belhousing when you had it apart? A leaky main seal will get oil between the clutch and flywheel and cause a slipping issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back