The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

420A 2gNT 96 eagle talon ignition fuse BLOWING.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tgrant282

Probationary Member
Feb 24, 2022
Arkadelphia, Arkansas
Ok so I’ve seen many many many posts about this topic and it seems to be a lot of looking around, I have a 96 eagle talon base model the fuse blew on me twice and I just replaced them both, I unplugged a REM (for a amp) that was just laying in the metal trunk and it didn’t blow again. I thought it was just that but when I was least expecting it at 1:00am I was driving in the rain and drove onto the bridge and everything but the headlights shut off. I knew immediately it was that fuse. I pulled over and grabbed a extra fuse and plugged it in and it blew when I turned the key to the ON position, I didn’t wanna blow my last fuse I had so I disconnected the aftermarket radio and all the connections in there and then disconnected the amp from the battery completely. I plugged in the fuse and it still popped. My car has a switch to turn it on (pretty much a aftermarket push to start but a switch instead) I checked the power and ground with a test light and it seems to be all working fine. If anyone has any idea of what the problem could be pls let me know. Anything helps

It’s the 30A ignition fuse btw

Most likely you have a short somewhere. I had a problem with my MPI fuse that would keep blowing. I found that my o2 sensor wiring was frayed and would touch together on bumps, hard accelleration, etc and short the fuse.

So I definitely have a ground issue and my o2 senser is broken but it has been broke for a while could that still be a reason

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Unplug the o2 and retest the short. That's how you eliminate suspects.

Ok so I’ve seen many many many posts about this topic and it seems to be a lot of looking around, I have a 96 eagle talon base model the fuse blew on me twice and I just replaced them both, I unplugged a REM (for a amp) that was just laying in the metal trunk and it didn’t blow again. I thought it was just that but when I was least expecting it at 1:00am I was driving in the rain and drove onto the bridge and everything but the headlights shut off. I knew immediately it was that fuse. I pulled over and grabbed a extra fuse and plugged it in and it blew when I turned the key to the ON position, I didn’t wanna blow my last fuse I had so I disconnected the aftermarket radio and all the connections in there and then disconnected the amp from the battery completely. I plugged in the fuse and it still popped. My car has a switch to turn it on (pretty much a aftermarket push to start but a switch instead) I checked the power and ground with a test light and it seems to be all working fine. If anyone has any idea of what the problem could be pls let me know. Anything helps

It’s the 30A ignition fuse btw
That aftermarket push start crap would be my first suspect

I tested the o2 sensor I unplugged it and the fuse still blew. Those fuses are 6$ a piece how can I test it without blowing fuses? Also I don’t think it’s the aftermarket push to start bc it will still crank the motor. The fuse only blows when I turn the key

This is the switch to start the car

I need someone to dumb splain on how to test for a short to ground. I have a test light and a multimeter. I need to find this

Pull all of the fuses and put back only the one that is blowing and see if it still blows it, if it doesn't then replace the fuses one at a time until you find out the one that is causing the short, this should narrow down the circuit that is the problem, it could even be the fuel pump or wiring to it, I had this issue on a stock Dsm one time. The junkyard is a great place to get an entire bag of spare fuses for dirt cheap btw.

Pull all of the fuses and put back only the one that is blowing and see if it still blows it, if it doesn't then replace the fuses one at a time until you find out the one that is causing the short, this should narrow down the circuit that is the problem, it could even be the fuel pump or wiring to it, I had this issue on a stock Dsm one time. The junkyard is a great place to get an entire bag of spare fuses for dirt cheap btw.
Thank you so much so to make sure I got this right. Pull all the fuses in the kick panel(under dash) and then plug in the ignition fuse (under hood) and then plug them in one at a time until the fuse blows?

Or to save on fuses, you can connect a 12v incandescent (not LED) light bulb in series with a battery terminal (nothing else on the battery post). Keep doors closed (or unplug door open switches to keep vanity/floor lamps off).

If there's a short the light it will be on bright when key isn't turned on yet.

There is always a tiny current draw to radio and ECU memories but not enough to turn light on. Then try key to acc position to see light brightness. If bright, start unplugging fuses that you know draw power like radio or suspected things that may have the short until the light goes out. If not bright in acc position, try the ON position. If bright, start removing fuses to find short.

Note the light will normally go on half brightness from things that normally draw power like the coil, relays, ECU, etc. You can then start disconnecting them or pulling fuses to eliminate power draws.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back