The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2gb Eclipse to 2gb Talon rear bumper swap.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Since more and more people are doing a 2gb Talon conversion to not only their hardtops, but their Spyder's as well, I decided to post my "How to" for others wanting to do this.

*NOTE- This article does not yet have the tail light wiring, this is just the bumper mounting. Other than the tail lights you will have to address the back up lights.

Parts/tools you may need.

*welder
*10mm wrench or socket
*ratchet or air wrench.
*drill and spot weld bit or 3/8" bit
*screw drivers, both flat and phillips may be needed
*2g Talon bumper
*2g Talon tail lights and center section

DISCLAIMER: I do not take any responsibility for anything you may mess up or unfinished projects that will/could be left unfinished.

Here we go,

Aquire 2g Talon bumpers and lights and DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
"]
[/URL]

2) Remove the rear interior side and rear plastics. Could be a couple phillips screws, most should be clips and just pop out.
3) Remove your tail lights 7 (seven) 10mm bolts per section.
4) Remove your 2g Eclipse bumper via the 17 (seventeen) 10mm bolts. Some bolts may break. You will have to go into the rear part of the wheel well for two bolts, one each side and 4 total bolts on the inside. Now once you have all of the bolts out be careful not to yank on the back up light connector, unclip that.

Now you should be looking at the bare rear end of your car.

5) Start by drilling out the spot welds on each of the three brackets, be careful not to drill all the way through the sheet metal.

"]
[/URL]

"]
[/URL]

Now this part is how I did this. If you want to use some other method to make your gaps right, be my guest. It WAS time consuming but I wanted it to line up perfect so it was worth it to me.

6) Lightly bolt in the Talon tail lights, not the center section. Also bolt the brackets you removed to the bumper tabs. They dont have to be tight but just snug enough you can move the bracket as you need.

You may need a hand for this next part, I had my old man help me on and off for this next part.

7) Set the bumper in place and put two bolts in the sides of the bumper. The bolts on the inside. One on each side will suffice, you just need enough to hold the sides of the bumper up while you measure.

8) Now, while supporting the middle of the bumper, notice the gap between the lights and the bumper. Make adjustments until you are satisfied with the gap, even as possible. Now mark where your middle bracket is with however you want (marker, scratches or remember where the were.) Now remove the bumper.

Heres where it can get time consuming.

9) Now you can line up your middle bracket with your marks and put a couple tack welds in it.

10) Re-install the bumper and put a couple bolts in the bracket so the weight is being supported by the bracket. Is the gap the same or how you wanted it? If not you may need to remove the bumper and reposition the bracket until you get it right.

11) Once you have the light gap how you want it you can remove the lights and mark the side brackets and tack those in.

12) Once everything is tacked in place you can install the bumper and lights to recheck all of your gaps. If any of the gaps are off or look funny, you may need to adjust a bracket how you see fit until you get it to fit and look just right.

Here are mine after I got done positioning my bumper

"]
[/URL]

"]
[/URL]

Once you are satisfied with all of your gaps you can final weld in your brackets and yet again reinstall the bumper and lights via the 10mm bolts that were removed minus the ones that broke of course! :thumb: This project took me a few hours.

As for the lights. The Eclipse lights themselves will clip into the Talon light assembly. However, when you turn the lights on and hit the brakes the AMBER lights will be illuminated, NOT the correct tail lights. This is where some wiring will be needed. What I did was just put the correct lights into the correct light holes, THEY DO NOT TWIST INTO THE SLOTS. I just set them in there to make my lights work.

Hope this helps for some of yall!! Enjoy DAT ASS!!!

"]
[/URL]

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back