The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2g won't stay running

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evileclipse909

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 17, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
I've done some searching and found a couple threads with a similar problem but no conclusion as to the cause. I've got a 98 gst I've been piecing together for a while. I've done the awd swap, and put in a gallant 2.4 with a 1g head. It has the 7 bolt crank sensor and 6 bolt cam sensor, all other sensors are 2g. Now for the issue, it'll start right up, but after about 3-5 seconds it'll shut itself off, as if I were to turn the key off. I originally thought crank sensor so I wired up the cas like a 6 bolt, no change, swapped mafs, no change checked and swapped the MFI rellay, no change. But the strange thing is, is that if I keep the rpms up I can bump the starter as its about to die and it'll stay running. Looking at the wireing diagrams everything seems to be in order so this makes no since. I'm hoping someone here has seen and resolved this problem and can hopefully help me out.

Slight update, I barrowed a couple test parts from a friendto rule out . I've tried swapping the coil, the transistor, and the ignition switch one at a time. But neither have caused any change. Also the battery light stays on when its running. It needs a new battery cuz ive been jump starting it, but I wouldn't think that would cause this strange issue. Any insight?

Check the big fuses under the hood with an ohmeter to make sure they are good. :thumb:

There were a few blown and missing fuses that I've had to install and move around. All the fuses regarding the ignition and starting circuit are good. I've got a fsm that I've been going through trying to trace the circuit. I wouldn't think the cas would cause it because of the fact that its a 1g cas and if I unplug it it'll still start and die. I am wandering if it has anyanything to do with the charging circuit or dash wireing. The dash had been removed and was just sitting in the car when I got it and the battery lite stays on even when its running.

Just a guess, with a dead battery and it not charging, you may not have enough electrical power to run the electronics.

Battery light stays on correct me if im wrong guys. If light stays on don't it me he alternator is bad. My car car is doing similar thing. At startup I runs and then dies but if I hold gas a lil stays running once warms up a little is ok changed my plugs and wire still does it. Doing boost leak soon. But my battery light not on. Check alternator.

I've found what's called the alternator relay. Which apears to be broken. The alternator is new btw. How do I jump the relay? For some reason my fsm is missing the charging circuit diagram

Attachments

• 1403363102468.jpg
    1403363102468.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 95
Sorry, thought you'd unhooked the cables. You need fuel, fire, compression. On start up you have all 3. Can you check fuel pressure. Filter could be plugged letting enough fuel in to start it, then starving it out. We know you have compression, should have fire, fuel seems like the only answer.

But its strange, it doesn't bog when it dies, it just shuts off as if the key were turned off. Bypassing the alternator relay didn't change anything either except now the batt light stays off. Like I said if I hold the rpms up and bump the starter when it dies it'll stay running.

I know I'm posting a dead thread but thought this information might help someone else who runs into the same problem. It turned out to be the cas wiring. I had some how plugged the cas connector in backwards since I was using a spare tps connector that I wired in. This caused the car to start up and die in 3 seconds. Simply turned the connector around and problem solved.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back