The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G vs 1G!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b00st3d

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 13, 2005
Yukon, Oklahoma
Even though my race car is a 2G, I have always had a special place for 1Gs.
The 96GST that I picked up a few months ago was traded for a 93 awd Talon last night. I go pick it up tomorrow.

What's your preference and why?

Congratulations on your new purchase, hopefully it doesnt slow the other project too much. Look forward to pics.
My dream dsm is 1998 talon tsi, simply one of the best lookin dsm as far as im concerned.

I look at the 1G and 2G this way.. The 1G owners took the prom queen home and fawked her, the 2G owners were the prom queen.. ;).. I keed I keed.. LOL:thumb:

I am partial to the 1G just because of it was a no-nonsense model out of the gate with the 6/4 combo in the 1GB followed by a 7 bolt that didn't have the "crank walk" issues that are so overblown in the 2G, it had jet fighter cockpit, ect ect..(+ the door handles don't constantly break)..

At the end of the day its just a personal preference of course, and mine is the 1G without question, they both share the 4G63T platform though which we can all agree is piston for piston the best 4cyl ever made..

Last edited:
For me the decision was about comfort in the driver's seat. The 2g fit more comfortably that the 1g did.
Traded this 96 GsT for the 93 awd Talon.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have a 1G awd and 2G spyder, honestly I personally feel that the 2g is more satisfying visually & ergonomically.
Not saying there is anything bad about a 1g, it's OG DSM but I prefer the 2g aesthetics overall interior and exterior.
Even by modern/today standards the 2g looks great and still has a current vibe like it could be still sold today.
The 1g is more a classic.

I feel like the 1g is the business end, 2g is the classed up side. I actually fit better in my 1g and I find they're more spacious feeling, where the 2g is a bit claustrophobic, yet with a more ergonomical layout for controls/gauges etc.

I'll take either tho, haha.

I actually fit better in my 1g and I find they're more spacious feeling, where the 2g is a bit claustrophobic.

Same here. 2G's always seemed tiny inside compared to my 1G and I never saw a reason to trade when I would go into the dealer.

Last edited:
2g is just sexier, the 1g is more of a rally car. It just depends on what your idea of good looking are, for 1g fans its not about looks, its more about utility, its like dating the cool chick thats a tom boy vs the 2g guys putting up with a little attitude from the hot chick because well she'sl...HOT. If you pull up to a crowd of car people or a car show with a 1g dont expect anyone else to share your love for the car, expect to be alone in your excitement about that new Brembo caliper setup that you installed that you think just finishes the car, on the other hand, pull up almost anywhere in a super clean 2g and watch people react to it and sometimes just flock to it, this phenomenon is telling, it tells us that the 2g is recognized by the average person for its beauty and sleek lines etc.

Last edited:
I love my 2G Spyder, and even with it's horrible need for body work AND the fact that it's currently fitted with a 4G64 (working on both issues), that thing still turns heads.

I constantly get sidetracked by people coming up to me in parking lots asking if I'd be willing to sell it (answer is always a solid "No" ROFL).

I love 1gs because of the interior, it feels purpose built. I've been in 2gs, never personally owned and driven one so I can't speak to the suspension side of things but I really just like the way my 1g looks.. then again most people don't get lucky and get a panda AND the black crystal headlights so it's hard for me to compare anymore. My favorite after this is a panda 2gb talon.

It's so weird for me to see people say the 1g is more spacious. I'm 6'1" and have way more room in the 2g.

I'll agree to an extent, I'm 6'2", 240lb and while the headroom is lacking a bit in my 1g, I don't feel as cramped otherwise.
The 2g I still don't have enough headroom in (damn long torso), but I feel so cramped in there side-to-side and legroom wise. And the side tightness isn't in a good, hold-you-in-the-seat kinda way, for me at least.

Tough for us tall guys to fit our altitude in any of these cars I think ROFL I can fit much better in my mx3, that car is strangely spacious and comfy for it's micro size.

Last edited:
Its all about the 4G63...... but the 2gs are better looking to most. However, it doesnt take much to make a 2g look like total crap inside and out, and more are shot than nice so opinions very based on personal experiences. They can both be bad ass and look great........but when owned by the right person, the 2g is where its at for me.

The look of the 2g is timeless, as mentioned above, and I agree that it doesnt look dated in the least on the rode among the cars of today......when done right. There are only a few cars ever made where this can be argued.

I think there are more 1g owners that kinda wish they had a 2g than the other way around. The 1g definitely has its place depending on goals though.

I think there are more 1g owners that kinda wish they had a 2g than the other way around. The 1g definitely has its place depending on goals though.

I can whole-heartedly say that myself and a couple of my local buddies would NEVER trade our 1gs for 2gs. Amassing more of both: why not? But never have I wanted a 2g over my 1g haha.

I appreciate the "Street fighter" look the 1g has, you can tell a well set up one means business. Not that 2gs can't be lumped into the same criteria, the 2gs are just prettier and more visually appealing to start.

Of coarse there will be guys that feel the way you do about their 1gs........they are great cars.........just my take on the overall view of the masses, based on my experience.

I'm just busting your chops @EVLGSX haha, I have no doubt there's tons of guys/gals wishing they had 2gs over 1gs.

Back I high school everyone I knew wanted a 2g haha

I prefer the 2GB looks over the 1Gx but appreciate the 1Gs "raw"ness.
If a 98 came up in my area for a sane price, I would owe the wife a million massages.

I've only been in a 1g a handful of times and owned one that was barely even a car (completely torn apart ) and I've personally never liked anything about them. I've seen some really clean ones but they don't really jump to me like 2gs do. Personal preference I suppose.

2gb>1ga>2ga>1gb that's how I look at it. This is purely rated out of looks imo. If you're talking racecar life 1g>2g plain and simple. Its debatable for sure. But I think 2gb especially my talon looks soooooo good

Congratulations on your new purchase, hopefully it doesnt slow the other project too much. Look forward to pics.
My dream dsm is 1998 talon tsi, simply one of the best lookin dsm as far as im concerned.
I agree. Canadian weather took a toll in my first 97 talon tsi AWD and now on my second which I don't run in winters. Fully stock and cant find a shop to help do some work on it. Just want a little bit more power without having to do a rebuild. Bolt on bigger turbo and suspension to bring her down an inch or two.

1g is a great solid car but the 2gs look way better imo. 2g with a 6 bolt is my goal in the far future in my 95 tsi awd project. Much love for both generations .

I have a 2g and I I lo ive it. But I will always have a special place in my heart for a 1g with the pop up headlights. To me there is no better looking dsm. If I could fine one cheap I would get it

I like the handling of the 2gs but I love the 1g interior its so much more driver focused and makes me feel like I'm in a racecar. Also I'm partial because the stock 2g wheel hits my knees because I'm too tall.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back