The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2g turbo stock exhaust size?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94exa2

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2010
Atlantic Beach, North_Carolina
Hey guys, i was wondering what the stock 2g 4g63Turbo exhaust diameter is?

and does anyone know of any quiet 2.5" mufflers for a gst with 2.5" turbo back?

was thinking evo8 muffler, but its got a weird side inlet on it, and now thinking gt v6 eclipse muffler?

still like to know size of stock exhaust. thanx guys

I want to say stock is 2.25", but I'm not 100% on that. Any muffler that's not a straight through can style muffler is going to be quieter than the classic fart cannon style mufflers.

Last edited by a moderator:
2.25" DP to muffler? is it manrel from factory?

i may leave stock exhaust for a while then. if i go aftermarket it will be 2.5" dp and 2.5" hfc and 2.5" catback with vibrant resonator and that twintip valved muffler, but stock for a while

thanks guys!

Stock piping on a 1g is 2.25..I thought the 2g's came with 2.5..But it could be the same as a 1g..

2.25" from downpipe to muffler? is it mandrel from factory or crush bent?

if its 2.25" from dp to muffler im leavin stock exhaust. if smaller, ill ###### go 2.5" custom

Well it has to be at least 2.25, because why would they go down in size for the 2g, it just doesn't make sense..It also depends on what your goals are for the car power wise..If your going to leave it semi stock, and not go huge turbo etc, then I would just go 2.5 turbo back, or even 2.75..But if you plan on upping the power to 400 plus I would definatly go 3 inch or bigger and get the upgrading of the exhaust out of the way....

Well it has to be at least 2.25, because why would they go down in size for the 2g, it just doesn't make sense..It also depends on what your goals are for the car power wise..If your going to leave it semi stock, and not go huge turbo etc, then I would just go 2.5 turbo back, or even 2.75..But if you plan on upping the power to 400 plus I would definatly go 3 inch or bigger and get the upgrading of the exhaust out of the way....

i do not plan to go 400 plus. just stock 4g63 and t25 with dejon intake, new smic, and all new ic hardpipes, 1g crushed bov, bsc mod, manual boost controller/gauge etc. basically all stage 0 and stage 1 mods minus exhaust.....and springs/shocks

i do not plan to go 400 plus. just stock 4g63 and t25 with dejon intake, new smic, and all new ic hardpipes, 1g crushed bov, bsc mod, manual boost controller/gauge etc. basically all stage 0 and stage 1 mods minus exhaust.....and springs/shocks

IF you plan to stay stock, than it really isnt necessary for a MBC as the stock Turbo is at its max already...

Fair bit of crap in here. Gravedigger's post should have ended this thread.

1g's and 2g's DSMs have a 2.25" crush bent exhaust from the dp to the catback. Please do not debate that further.

I know 12's have been done on a stock exhaust, maybe dipping into the 11's? Either way 2.5" is reported to restrict flow nearing the 400hp range. And everyone wants 97329759375hp so they immediately jump to a 3" setup.

I'm still not sold, if you can't tell. :p

94exa2, watch your spelling and punctuation. You don't wanna hear it from the mods - besides it helps out every single member of Tuners.

I will leave the stock exhaust with every intake/ic mod and stay that way for a while.
maybe ported stock ex mani/o2 housing, 2.25 hf cat and 2.25" manrel turbo back, to stock muffler.

if i decide to swap to a turbo bigger than a 14b/t28 i will go larger exhaust

Last edited:
The best quiet/performance I had is the Trust 2.5'' Catback, it's pretty old-school(Trust not Greddy ;) ) But, it has a very nice rumble. They might be a tad hard to find, but if you find one, you can probably swoop it up for around 150 bucks used.

BTW, those cherry bomb super turbo mufflers($35) are pretty quiet too.

thanks for your knowledge guys. i will stick with the stock exhaust till i upgrade to a larger turbo, then will go 2.5" mandrel dp, hfc, mandrel catback with vibrant u.q. resonator/stealth muffler. should look stock and sound just a little louder than stock but flow much better...

once (if) i decide to upgrade the exhaust, which should be quieter?...2.5" mandrel downpipe, 2.5" high flow cat, 2.5" mandrel catback with 2.5" vibrant ultra quiet resonator and 2.5" vibrant stealth twintip muffler....or all of that in 3"

may end up goin with 2.5" dp, 2.5" hfc, 2.5" mandrel piping, 2.5" vibrant ultra quiet resonator, 2.5"e-cutout to the stock turbo muffler....i dont want to hear anything from the exhaust, unless im at the track...hopefully it wont be too loud

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back