The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G TSI

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well as usual more answers leads to more questions. I swapped my coils; much easier than I anticipated btw. She runs worse and dies the second I hit the gas pedal.
Pulled the plugs. Before plugs 1 and 4 were clean, and plugs 2 and 3 were black. Looked like soot.
Now plugs 1 2 and 4 were wet (not soaked) and plug 3 was dry and little black. Couldnt get her to run as long as she was before to get a better idea.

So do I still suspect coil(s)? Transistor? Did my injectors get flooded or damaged during my fuel problem? Hmmm.......

Hard to tell. The only way to know if the coil is good, is if you are getting spark, it doesn’t have to start in order to check spark, if you have someone to crank it while you verify spark should do the job.

The wetness on the sparks are for a lot of reasons..
If coil 1&4 is no good and if the trigger wire is bad as well, now that you changed the trigger wire to the other coil, then you are going to end up with no spark at all on none of them., that’s why is the test of swapping coils.
Just focus on checking on the sparks and forget what it does, the test is just a test, it’s not a fix, and based on the test result is what you are going to proceed to fix.

Got my new power steering reservoir from STMtuned.
20200504_180730.jpg

Had to paint it purple to match everything else if course.
20200507_182252.jpg

20200509_133641.jpg

No more leaks!!!

As far as running.....still major misfire. Installed new wires, coils, and the transistor and the misfire is worse. Put the old transistor back on with the new coils, slight improvement but still major misfire. Put the good old coil back on with one new coil, still major misfire. Worse than before. I don't understand. And I'm getting frustrated. So I'll take a breather and do some more research.

Will be looking into ecu and injectors. Noticed one of my injectors was a little loose when I was swapping coils out. They are originals. Was going to upgrade eventually but wanted to pass emissions first.

Got it to my work and my guys started testing everything. Found that with the new coil on the right, plugs 2 and 3 are firing again but now 1 and 4 are dead (that coil was firing before). So further testing shows not getting ground power to the transistor for that coil. Since 1 and 4 were previously firing, plan is to work our way back and see if the ECU is shot.

If you are having inconsistent working coils, I would go more to a wiring harness then the ECU, the ECU once it damaged it stays like that for most of the time.

Try to start the car and at the same time wiggle the harness at the coils and transistor to see if it gets better, I suspect there is a broken wire making intermittent contact.

Side note, I hope you remember you swapped the coil trigger wires at the back of he coils, I would swap them back o the original order if you haven’t done it yet for future misleading problems.

Yes I replaced the one coil suspected to be bad after the swap and corrected all the connections. By working back to the ecu to check for faults I did mean to insinuate I'll be checking the wiring back to it to see where the fault is, to see if we find a bad wire or bad ecu. Have verified no ground on wires going from ecu to transistor. Checking cam and crank sensors first to verify they are not telling the computer not to send the signal.

Idk what 2ga and 2gb means? I do have schematics. Have determined it's a loose/broken wire somewhere between as it is back to an intermittent misfire problem.

Let me step back and explain what I did;
So found that plugs 2 and 3 were not getting spark. Replaced that coil, misfire still bad. Found now plugs 1 and 4 were not getting spark. Replaced that coil as well. Car now runs with intermittent misfire, but is starting every time. Check engine light came on for both o2 sensors (knew downstream as it's not connected). Found the upstream cross threaded. Got it out and was able to rethread the hole and got the new one in. No longer has a strong gas odor. Getting the exhaust replaced this weekend. Found I need heat shields, like everywhere. I have zero and my current exhaust with multiple holes is at an angle right up against my fuel tank.

2ga is 95/96 and 2gb is 97/99. 2ga vs 2gb have slight different wiring and relays and you need to do some stuff a bit different in order to make them work when it comes to swap harness or ECUs.

I would suggest to fix the O2 sensors first before anything which it can get some problems like the misfire and basically you will be chasing a ghost.

Fist, fix what ever you know you all ready have wrong which in this case, the O2 sensor, if you would off mention that from the beginning, we would off suggest to fix that first and you probably be saving time and money at this time.

Oh its 2ga then.

And the o2 wasnt a problem previously. The check engine light wasnt coming on and there was no information telling me my upstream o2 was bad until I fixed the misfire. I found this out and already replaced it. I will be fixing the exhaust before I go any deeper into the intermittent misfire issue, if it continues.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back