The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G 2g trans & transfer case questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViciousLord

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2005
Orlando, Florida
Little bit of a back story cars been pretty much sitting in my garage for 12 years, ran fine when it was parked. As I get time and motivation I plug away at it with the eventual goal of having a weekend toy.

Ran into a situation that has me confused and wanted your input.

Few questions:

1. Do you think these trans builders kept logs of trans they have rebuilt?!? I ask because I noticed the bearing plate on the trans is black while the rest of the trans is that gray look. Also noticed tons of liquid gasket material from all the seams of the transmission, was this an OEM thing?

2. In addition to draining the trans I also drained the transfer case… upon unscrewing the transfer case hardly any fluid came out. But I did see tons of sludge on the drain bolt, I also stuck my finger there and got sludge on my finger. What is the best method to clean it out?

Attached are pics of the trans for reference.

Thanks again.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That black section is not normal for a stock transmission, its likely been apart at some point, the gasket maker is normal, even in that amount, evn factory assembly applies about as much maybe a slight touch less, not necessarily that same brand or color always but nothing to worry about, most shops do keep paperwork on work that they have done, but someone could have pieced together that transmission at home, it doesn't necessarily have to have been done at a shop.

Agreed.
With the drain open on the transfer case, just blast some BPC into it and then let that drain until you are happy all the crap is out of it, otherwise you need to take it out and apart (the side cover at least) and clean it. Put compressed air up in it, lightly, and use a rag around the drain hole as the stuff will likely want to go everywhere.

Thank you gentlemen.

I plan on doing either the magnus cover or frontline fab brace… so I might as well crack it open and spray the crap out of it.

I have both of those pieces you mentioned and love both of them. The FF brace is very solid and the Magnus cover along with a JB brace works super on my automatic car, just FYI. If you get the FF brace, REMEMBER to remove your bearing race and shim from your original stock cover and insert them into the FF brace!

I have both of those pieces you mentioned and love both of them. The FF brace is very solid and the Magnus cover along with a JB brace works super on my automatic car, just FYI. If you get the FF brace, REMEMBER to remove your bearing race and shim from your original stock cover and insert them into the FF brace!
What’s the JB brace?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back