The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G 2G TPS Adjustment

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RamenPride

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 18, 2002
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Next weekend I'm thinking about installing my 1G throttle body. Again. I had it on there a couple months ago, but I couldn't get the TPS adjusted correctly. The VFAQ was kind of vague, basically saying rotate it until you find the point of continuity and dis-continuity (or something like that). I thought I had it adjusted correctly simply by jamming two wires between pins 2 and 4 and the connector so I could measure the voltage with the key in the ignition. I rotated the sensor until i got .49 volts with the throttle plate closed. Car seemed to run fine after letting the car warm up and adjusting the BISS to bring the idle down (i had it backed out all the way and it was idling at 1500-2000rpm). The only thing was i wasn't completely sure (idle would drop instead of increase with A/C on, gas mileage during test drive seemed bad), and i didn't want to drive 4.5hrs away without a place to work on my car knowing i wouldn't get a chance to work on it again for some time.

so, can anyone offer a more in-depth explaination of adjusting the 2G TPS (if i didn't do it right the first time)? if possible a way to do it with the TB off of the car, because it's a pain to do it when it's on the car because of the fuel rail blocking the lower screw.

Sounds to me like the TPS was adjusted properly. Though adjusting the BISS, like adjusting timing, requires disableing or by passing the ECU . Get a service manual it will explain how to do that. I would actually expect poor gas mileage for about 150 miles until the ECU makes its adjustments to compensate for the larger TB. As far as the AC goes...double check your hoses? Or see if there are compatibility problems with the ISC motor? Im not too sure about that one.

The adjustment procedure in the VFAQ is setting the idle position switch in the 2G TPS.
Assuming you still have the 1G IPS on the 1G TB and it's correctly adjusted to serve as the throttle stop, you rotate the TPS to the point where the switch opens and turn it back to when it just closes and lock it down. Looking at the TPS voltage won't make sure you have a working IPS, the ECU needs to know that the throttle is closed not just very close to being closed.

Yes you can adjust it off the car, I don't know if you can put the TB back on with the TPS on it.
Steve

Bringing my 11 year old thread back from the dead.....

Anyway, after the past 11 years I've had the 1G throttle body, sold it, back to the stock throttle body, almost sold the car...... and now I've got a 1G NT throttle body. Having some issues with the idle and pretty sure it's because the TPS adjustment is off again.

Anway, I was just thinking, is it possible to just use a 1G TPS and/or clip the wire going to the 2G TPS for the closed throttle switch at the harness and connect it to the 1G closed throttle switch/throttle stop instead? I have it adjusted properly per the service manual, and seems like if this would work it would be a lot easier than fiddling around turning the TPS ever so slightly to get it at the right spot.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back