The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G 2g Timing Belt Noise and High Idle on start up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95_gst_turbo

Proven Member
Nov 20, 2014
weidman, Michigan
So here's my delima, we had to change the alternator on my 2g 6bolt swap and it sat for about a month. When I started it today it sounded like a lifter tick. Figured I would let it run for a min and see if it would go away. Well while I was looking I noticed the noise coming from my timing belt. I dont have the cover on the top nor bottom right now and I could see the belt moving back and forth causing the noise.

I know the belts causing the noise because during idleing it will sure for 1k -1500 and when it smoothes out the noise goes away.

Just curious if anyone would know if my tensionsers going bad or if I need to try and retension my roller tensioner. The grenade pin moved freely in and out after several rotations last time I did it.

Also the initial start up of the car if it sat for a while will idle surge until the vehicle is warmed up. Not sure if I have a vacuum leak anywhere and maybe a gasket might swell when warm?

Please, any input would be greatly appreciated.

THanks

Since you don't have the covers on, start it and look to see if any of the pulleys are bent. Also make sure all pulleys are tight. Normally on a bad tensioner the belt will be loose. But not walk on the pulleys

I cant see any pullys bent, how ever when the engine is running I can see the belt flop between the auto tensioner and the exhaust cam.

I guess ill just replace the the hydraulic tensioner and see what happens.

Pulled the hydraulic tensioner and I can compress it with my hand. Glad I caught it when I did.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back