The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 2G tcase / viscous coupling issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Wucher

Proven Member
Apr 19, 2020
Norfolk, Virginia
So I went for a test drive for the first time after not driving the car for a month due to a turbo rebuild. The other night I did a 3-4 gear pull and noticed that the rpms shot up as if the clutch was slipping. Fast forward a few days and its getting worse, it feels like slip even under little to no boost just trying to get up to speed. It will slip at random times, and sometimes it wont slip at all. A few days ago, I had changed all of the fluids in my tranny, tcase, and diff. When I pulled the drain plug on tcase, the drain plug had a bunch of shavings on it. I've been trying to do some research and either the tcase is having an issue or the viscous coupler is the problem. Is there any way to differentiate between the two? And how do I check if the viscous coupler is burnt up? trying to figure this out soon so I can get back to driving. TIA

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back