The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G 2G swapping in a ‘97 GS-T motor engine into a 95 Talon w/95 ECU & CAS Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1greyawdtsi

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 18, 2009
Seattle, Washington
Hi,
I’m in the process of swapping out my crank-walked ‘95 AWD Talon motor & installing a lower mileage ‘97 GST motor.

I’ve read a lot of threads here & on ECM TUNING WIKI about the CAS Differences between the 95-96 to 97-99 swap. Also my ‘95 ECU was cleaned up and just socketed by ECM Tuning right before my motor walked. So if the swap is successful/running I will be getting ECM Link and running my ‘95 EPROM ECU.

Can any one clarify the best way to wire up the ‘97 CAS to my ‘95 CAS harness to get it roughly running first, taking into consideration I rather wait on a successful & running engine swap before spending the money on ECM link? Thanks in advance.

Maybe I don't understand very well what exactly you want to do, but you wouldn't need to rewire anything if you would use the sensor and the intake cam gear that were on the old engine. In case if you want to use a 2Gb CAS in your 95 DSM, I think the easiest way would be to use an adapter like the link below.

I’m
Maybe I don't understand very well what exactly you want to do, but you wouldn't need to rewire anything if you would use the sensor and the intake cam gear that were on the old engine. In case if you want to use a 2Gb CAS in your 95 DSM, I think the easiest way would be to use an adapter like the link below.
Thanks for that information. From what I’ve read the CAS should be the only real issue putting a 97 4g63t motor in my 95 running a 95 ecu. Electrical is my weakest skill set so if it’s plug & play then great! Will see if there are any reviews on this product & company - thanks again!

you would need cut off the 95 cam sensor connector, extend the wires and solder on the connector for a 2gb cam sensor.

you could also cut the connector off your old cam sensor, extend the wires and solder on the connector for a 2gb cam sensor. that way it will just plug into your existing harness without cutting it.

if your running link there is an option for running a 95 ecu with a 1g or 2gb sensor. then you only need to swap your plug wires.

if you don't have link, you need to swap plug wires and injector pins.

you would need cut off the 95 cam sensor connector, extend the wires and solder on the connector for a 2gb cam sensor.

you could also cut the connector off your old cam sensor, extend the wires and solder on the connector for a 2gb cam sensor. that way it will just plug into your existing harness without cutting it.

if your running link there is an option for running a 95 ecu with a 1g or 2gb sensor. then you only need to swap your plug wires.

if you don't have link, you need to swap plug wires and injector pins.
Unfortunately I’m not yet.familiar, are you referring to injector ECU pins at the ECU? Thank you!

if your standing in front of the car and looking at the coil packs, stock should be
| | | |
3 2 1 4

you need to swap it to
| | | |
1 4 3 2

its wasted spark so all that matters is that you swap the 2 wires one coil with the ones on the other
i usually end up going 4123

now the car will start with just swapping the plug wires. so if you just want to get it started and then your going with link, i wouldn't swap the injector pins cause its way easier to just click a box in the ecmlink software.

Justin DuBois said:
Due to the inverted Cam signal, injector trigger wires will need to be switch on 95-96 year ECU cars with this wiring diagram in order to bring the signals back into phase. The difference is subtle, but the motor will start easier, provide smoother idle, and have less hesitations during mild acceleration.

If you decide your gonna swap the injector pins, here is what you do

Justin DuBois said:
Use the following diagram: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ecu-harness-2G.html

When removing the pins on your ECU wiring harness be patient and delicate. It requires no force to remove the pins. Consult the diagram in the front of your electrical service manual regarding the proper way to inspect and remove pins. You will need a tiny jewelers screwdriver, (1/16 in) to release a plastic catch holding the pin's in. Use a flashlight and take a good look at the harness before beginning.

Green: Pin 1 is now 14
Green w/ yellow stripe: Pin 2, is now Pin 1
Green w/ red stripe: Pin 15, is now Pin 2
Yellow w/ black stripe: Pin 14 is now Pin 15

if your standing in front of the car and looking at the coil packs, stock should be
| | | |
3 2 1 4

you need to swap it to
| | | |
1 4 3 2

its wasted spark so all that matters is that you swap the 2 wires one coil with the ones on the other
i usually end up going 4123

now the car will start with just swapping the plug wires. so if you just want to get it started and then your going with link, i wouldn't swap the injector pins cause its way easier to just click a box in the ecmlink software.

If you decide your gonna swap the injector pins, here is what you do
I really appreciate this detailed response. It paints a clear image & puts it together better for me and my approach - thank you!!

now the car will start with just swapping the plug wires. so if you just want to get it started and then your going with link
Looking ahead at next weekend to pull out both motors. Then will preform maintenance: T-belt, etc..
After re-reading your response, do you have actual experience with how poorly I should expect the engine to run/perform, I mean before link (or swapping pins)?
Is it just the occasional misfire?

I don’t need to really drive the car was just curious if it’s drivable enough to test drive and move it around - until I get link. Thanks!

Looking ahead at next weekend to pull out both motors. Then will preform maintenance: T-belt, etc..
After re-reading your response, do you have actual experience with how poorly I should expect the engine to run/perform, I mean before link (or swapping pins)?
Is it just the occasional misfire?

I don’t need to really drive the car was just curious if it’s drivable enough to test drive and move it around - until I get link. Thanks!
Stock cams, mild hesitation. totally drivable

Just want to say thank you for supplying the link above. I needed the adapter and didn't know where to find it. I'm currently in my first build of a 95 Talon TSI AWD and possibly over my head, but time is on my side. Thanks again.

I'm basically doing the same thing.. kinda, I have -96 talon and -96 rebuild engine but my harness was spliced hell and back cuz it used to have 6 bolt and then it went back to 7 bolt and it was a mess and I got uncut -97 harness and ecu for $50 so I'll use that ohm racing extension for the cas

The so easiest way for you to do this IMO would be to take your 95 cam sensor and 95 intake cam gear and just swap them over to the 97 head along with the black rubber plug for the end. Then there is no need to swap plugs and injector wires and all that, no adapter harness or extending wires. It’s like 6 bolts and swap it over and your done. Also I have a 95 ecu in my 99 and had the ecm link guys do a 97-99 mod to the ecu and I didn’t have to deal with any wiring swapping or injector swapping junk.
-Daniel

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back