The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2g sunroof transplant

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthwonder83

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 1, 2004
Twin Cites, Minnesota
I have a 97 n/t Eclipse. I don't have a sunroof although I've been to the junkyards lately and there are many Eclipses and Talons w/ sunroofs! Is there any way to bolt it off the junk car and bolt it up to mine?? I'm very experienced in bodywork buy have not taken a roof apart before. And the chiltons doesn't show a roof diagram, but I'm sure there are bolts holding the roof on. Anybody done this mod?

maybe probably be easier/cheaper to cut the sunroof out and weld it on your roof . and now you got moonroof. no electric sunroof . sounds pretty easy dont it ?

You DON'T want a DSM sunroof. They leak, constantly.

i work in a body shop
you claim you know body work

then you should know that you cant just blot on a roof its a panel just like a door skin or guarter panle your best bet is to buy a roof skin w/ sun roof cut an opening in your roof a lil larger tha the sun roof modify the skin that was purchsed so it just barley overlaps the roof skin on your car

you could
A.) weld it or
B.) use fiber glass mesh and resin

i suggest the fiber glass the roof non structural and you dont have to worry about worping the metal cause of heat then you can just go buy your sun roof from the junkyard.

any Questions or if you need me to clearify something with images let me know.

I don't work exclusively at a bodyshop, but I on occasion fix large dents all the time on my and other people's cars. I never worked with a roof though. How sure are you that the fiberglass resin will crack?? I'd rather not weld risking any warping.

akagotcha, have you done this before? w/ the fiber resin?

fiberglass is just as strong as and oem panel look at the corvette.

the roof dont flex period so you dont have to worry about the fiber glass cracking.

roof scoops are usually held on by adhesives double sided tape or yah you got it "fiberglass"

um if you got any other ? let me know ill help you as much as i can.

contact me

akagotcha18 =aim

[email protected]

Originally posted by akagotcha
fiberglass is just as strong as and oem panel look at the corvette.

the roof dont flex period so you dont have to worry about the fiber glass cracking.

roof scoops are usually held on by adhesives double sided tape or yah you got it "fiberglass"

contact me

akagotcha18 =aim

[email protected]

Listen to this guy and you will regret it.If you try to fiberglass the sunroof in, I will guarantee it will crack, I would bet all 3 of my DSM's on it.Wind buffeting around the sunroof WILL flex the roof and not to mention the roof is one of the main components of the unibody structure.Fiberglassing in a sunroof is gotta be the dumbest thing I have ever heard on this forum.Put in an aftermarket roof, then you only have to cut a hole, or if you really need to put in a factory one welding is your ONLY option.Anybody with welding experience could easily weld it without warping, It would probably only take you a fraction of the time and trouble too.

^^^ I agree , warping is a an issue but you are better off with welding than with fiberglass.
" roof scoops are usually held on by adhesives double sided tape or yah you got it "fiberglass"

contact me

akagotcha18 =aim "

I guess this guy has a point , but most people that have a roof scoop didnt obstruct the structure of the roof buy cutting a hole in it 30 inched long by 18 inches long. Some people just place the scoop on the hood and glass it in. Not many streetcars have a functional scoop.

umm the structure of a unibody is in the floor mainly and engine compartment yeah welding is the idea thing to do but your gonna have to do body work any ways y do more than whats needed

it dont do wheels so you dont have to worry about the car slammin back down and bending

its front wheel drive so you dont have to worry about torque twistin the "UNIBODY"

um roof scoops and hood scoops that are fiber glassed in probly create more resistance to wind than a sunroof that is flush with the surface have.

you wouldnt be fiber glassen a but joint together it would be an over lap joint.

i have experience with weldin cause of my job position. with the thinner metals that car man.'s are using now you almost have to use a tig welded which welds at very low heat. can be done with a mig welder but will be time consuming small tack welds every so many inches all the way around till completley filled.

plus if frame of the sunroof gets warped you got a high chance of leakin cause the glass wont sit flat all the way around.

but your call

I corvette is built out of fiberglass, not fiberglass bonded to metal. It will crack. A roof flexes alot. Take your car and drive one wheel up on something. If you pay attention you can actually feel the car twist. Warping the roof wont happen if you take your time and keep it cool. Spot weld and wait spot and wait. Also use a cold wet rag to put on the weld right after you weld. I have also used alum. to use as a heat sink because it will dissipate heat quickly.

Laterz

Originally posted by akagotcha
umm the structure of a unibody is in the floor mainly and engine compartment yeah welding is the idea thing to do but your gonna have to do body work any ways y do more than whats needed

it dont do wheels so you dont have to worry about the car slammin back down and bending

its front wheel drive so you dont have to worry about torque twistin the "UNIBODY"

um roof scoops and hood scoops that are fiber glassed in probly create more resistance to wind than a sunroof that is flush with the surface have.

you wouldnt be fiber glassen a but joint together it would be an over lap joint.

i have experience with weldin cause of my job position. with the thinner metals that car man.'s are using now you almost have to use a tig welded which welds at very low heat. can be done with a mig welder but will be time consuming small tack welds every so many inches all the way around till completley filled.

plus if frame of the sunroof gets warped you got a high chance of leakin cause the glass wont sit flat all the way around.

but your call
1. Maybe you should read a book or something on unibody.
2. Unless you don't hit any bumps or make any turns, the frame will twist.
3. It's not the resistance that causes flex, when the sunroof is open, air moving around the vehicle creates a low pressure area which, as long as the car is moving, creates a minor depressurizing/pressurizing of the interior.
4. Learn to spell.

Originally posted by earthwonder83
I have a 97 n/t Eclipse. I don't have a sunroof Is there any way to bolt it off the junk car and bolt it up to mine??
No. Unless you can figure out how they're mysteriously "bolted up".
I'm very experienced in bodywork
Apparently not.
buy have not taken a roof apart before. And the chiltons doesn't show a roof diagram, but I'm sure there are bolts holding the roof on.
I was right.

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back