The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Spyder 2G Spyder C1 Hard Top

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hey all, I just wanted to share some news on a project we are working on. The hard top from the C1 Motorsports Eclipse, that was built by Andrew Brilliant back in the day, is being molded by Sergio at Carbonetics to be made available for purchase soon to the general public!

The C1 Hard Top will be the first and only hard top available for the 2G Eclipse Spyder, so if you or someone you know with a Spyder has dreamed of that hard top life, consider this an official announcement.

The plan is to make it a bolt in replacement, but there will be a fair amount of work required on our end as the original was all custom made. Details like that will be made available later as they are solidified.

It is also planned to clean up the top some more, smooth out uneven areas, and make it way lighter. It will be available in both carbon and fiberglass! A rear lexan or glass piece could easily be sourced, as well as rear quarter windows. For our race car, it wasn't important, but the option for DD use will be of course retained with the new top.

We have already got the top packed up and on its way to Carbonetics. We are posting the day by day updates on our social media (view my signature) for those who like their news live, but any of the old timers who just want to know the big details/milestones, I'll post back here as it comes along.

This isn't a "for sale" post, so those please keep those inquiries to our other platforms and keep this thread clean and open. What we'd love to see though is if anyone has interest in the C1 Hard Top and if anyone has suggestions for the product development while it has this opportunity to be done better.

I'll be the first to admit I'm all go and no show, so if it doesn't make the car faster, we don't have it. We sometimes forget the creature comforts. Something like a rear glass defogger/defroster is something I have zero experience designing. Ideas and suggestions like that would be great to discuss.

Thanks!

spyderdrifter

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2009
Some where in, Colorado
Any updates? Saw absolutely nothing on Facebook regarding this project.

bettakenobi

Probationary Member
Apr 13, 2021
Hollywood, Florida
Any new updates on this project? Haven’t heard anything since this last post and have been wondering

Atuca

Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2007
Central Valley, California
Any new updates on this project? Haven’t heard anything since this last post and have been wondering
I received a photo from Sergio with the top in the back of a truck told it was being brought into the shop last week. He said he would be documenting the build on his new YouTube channel starting next month.

We also did a bit of brain storming, asking questions like "how will the top attach to the window frame", and "do we keep a functioning trunk, and if so, do we build a half trunk as well if the top covers the stock hinges?"

Questions I just didn't think about on a race car, Sergio has brought up. I can provide him with hype, concerns and questions, but the actual production is being carried out by his team. I'll keep letting him know you guys are wanting this to be started/completed.

Atuca

Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2007
Check out this video from Sergio Amezcua of Carbonetics Carbon Fiber discussing his new goals for his Spyder, as well as project plans for the hard top at the 8:50 mark in the video.

Youtube provides auto translate to your local language if Spanish is not your native so you can still enjoy the content. This is the latest info for all our C1 hard top followers.

Atuca

Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2007
It isn't perfect, but it gets the jist across.

Turn on CC, go to auto-translate, and then select English.

Atuca

Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2007
Hey Atuca

Do you have any updates right now? I've had a spyder part waiting for molding at his shop for a while now and having trouble getting updates from Carbonetics.
My last conversation with him was in July.

I just reached out to him today for you to get an update. I've expressed interest in picking up the top and taking it to another shop if his workload can't also support this top project moving forward.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds