The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Resolved 2G Runs 3 seconds then dies, no spark on 1 and 4

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RussianEclipse

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 25, 2012
Walnutport, Pennsylvania
Alright I have a 95 GST with basic mods.

i bough the car and it needed timing belt and tensioner. I replaced that and did regular maintenance. (belts, water pump, starter, thermostat.. etc) ran the car for a week then the next Saturday i parked it, 2 hours later it just wouldnt start and back fired out intake. Got it home and did the usual checks, (spark fuel air) had spark and air, but fuel pump wouldnt turn on.

So replaced crank sensor, still wouldn't turn on, replaced MPI/MFI, still nothing, tested pump with 12v and it turned on. Checked wire from ignition and it had power to the relay just not past there. IDK, So we hot wired it and have fuel now.

Found out I had a bad tensioner and jumped timing, bent valves, and my intake cam gear where the cam sensor was bent and caused the back fires. Replaced that and the sensor then got the head rebuilt with all new everything but when I dropped head off I never took off cam sensor, guy said he would. Got it back put it all together and went to start. Battery was shot. Got a new one and it stumbles then would start and just runs like 3 seconds and die.

Coolant temp sensor wires broke off, so just connected then directly to the sensor. (got that from this site) Tried it again it stumbled a few times then kicked on and ran fine and with no issues. Let it run say 10 minutes shot it off and filled up the rest of the oil and coolant had to get the air out of the lines. went to start it and just stumbles ran say 3-5 seconds then just shits off.

Checked for spark for the hell of it and I get spark on 2 & 3 not 1 & 4. Thought it might be the coils (which were brand new replaced them with starter) and switched coils and still just on 2 & 3. Then checked codes and got cam sensor circuit fault.

Could that be the reason I have no spark and why wont my fuel pump turn on like its supposed to?

And for everyones knowledge I ran a line from a keyed on wire so that the pump only turns on when the key is on just like it should from factory. Really needed help need this car for East Coast MOD this Saturday. HELP!!!!

All fuses are good, fuel tank is full with fresh gas, plugs in right order 3,2,1,4 , Timing is dead on perfect and no more back fires. can smell fuel getting into the cylinders. just not firing in right order I assume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Replace your PCM with a known good one. My son had this exact issue, except ti was 30 seconds. Replaced the PCM at the back right of the head and it fixed it.

The pcm is the small flat resistor pack mounted at the base of the intake manifold on the drivers side. The ECU is the computer

(I think he means Power Transistor Unit - PTU)

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back