The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

2g rear Koni yellows on a GVR4?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alias74

Probationary Member
May 5, 2010
Richmond, Indiana
Hi,

I'm sorting out my suspension choices for my VR4. I'm really interested in running Ground Controls and Koni yellows. I've read that 2g Koni yellows will work, but there is no clear consensus as to whether or not this is a good choice. I'd love to hear your thoughts, both technical and experiential.

In addition to the GC/Koni, I'm thinking about K Sport camber plates in the front. Will these work well together?

I would have posted this in the tech section, but I'm a newb......

Thanks in advance!

Actually from what I've read, the stock suspension on a VR-4 is close to a 1g, but not exactly the same. Here's a link to what I found on the Galant forum:

Suspension Data

I've also read that some have used 2g Konis on a 1g and at least one person on a GVR-4, but the 2g shock is shorter than a 1g. Here's a quote:

I am running the koni G/C setup and it actually doesn't do bad. I have 2g rear shocks as they are externally adjustable and bolt right up. I am running 500lbs front and 550lbs rear springs with a 24mm rear bar and 22mm front bar. I run -3.2 deg of front camber and -1.5 deg rear camber. The car turns very well. The only real problem I have is consistent braking without abs. I contribute most of that to our crappy lot though. The shocks are on the edge with those spring rates so I plan on next year modifying my shock housings to install double adjustable koni race shocks. The fronts are easy but I haven't figured out the rear yet. I have a friend at a machine shop so I may just get some custom housing made. Also you could get some kw's for an evo and just modify to fit.

Basically, I'm looking for info from people that have done this, or people that have technical data as to why it will not work. Again, I'm a newb, so all of my knowledge is from what I've read. I've got no real world experience with this.

None of this would matter if I could find some 1g rear Konis. I'd be all over them.....

This is a good thread. I read that same post on the vr4 forums and decided to order a set of 1g front and 2g rear Koni shocks for my 1g awd. Comparing them to a stock 1g awd rear shock, you can tell the 2g one is a little over an inch shorter than the 1g shock. This shouldn't be a problem when bolting it up if you are matching the Koni shocks with GC coilover sleeves. Also, you can tell the spring perch on the 2g is higher than the perch on the 1g. Because of this, I told GC to send me matching coilover sleeves; 1g for the front, and 2g for the rear. Another thing I noticed is that the 2g has larger diameter threads on the top, which means the 1g top hat, nut, bump stop, etc. won't work without modification/replacing.

The motion ratios for the 1g awd rear and the 2g rear are pretty close, the 1g being around 0.84, and the 2g being around 0.86. My car is undergoing a stroker build so I won't be able to give any feedback until July/August, but I will keep everyone up to date.

Attachments

• HPIM1292.jpg
    HPIM1292.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 191
Thanks for those pics, talonDSMerr!

To work properly, would a 1g need to be lowered by the difference in lengths between the shocks (1"+)? Or would the amount of lowering be determined by the difference in the lengths of the stroke? I couldn't find the stroke info on the 2g Konis in a quick Google search. Might have to call them....

Though I want to lower the center of gravity on my Galant, I want to avoid a stupid low drop....

Any thoughts on the K-Sport camber plates in the front with the Ground Controls?

No it will not work. The suspension on the VR-4 is the same on the 1g AWD and will NOT work any of the 2g cars.
Not necessarily true - this topic has been brought up in the Road Racing forum due to the 1g rear Konis being discontinued. It's been determined that the 2g rear is pretty similar in fitment, though not exactly the same. Though I'm not sure if anyone has done any testing yet.

This needs brought back. I am not sorry.

Who all tried this? I own a 91 GVR4 now.
LOL

Hopefully the ones who did are still around and didn't get out of the DSM scene. I'm guessing you already saw this post:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2g-rear-koni-shocks-on-1g-awd.406746/

Do some searches for the subject and start tagging members here that appear to have done the install. They might not respond but it's worth a try. For instance, I found @talonsnwbrdr mention he used 2g Konis on his 1g here:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/1...rdware-what-goes-where.480232/#post-153435743

Just need to be persistent. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back