The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Rear Chromoly Subframe

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikhro

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 27, 2006
Palm Beach, Florida
I know Magnus Motorsports make it......but $2,500 bones isn't exactly something Im a giggly to fork out on.

Does anyone else build them?.....or at least the lower control arms?

Im currently in the process of making a decision.....to either take my rear subframe, get it sandblasted and powedercoated......or go with this route.

This is magnus (for those that might not know)
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I wish I had an answer for you man but I don't... I just wanted to say that thing is BADASS! If there are any reputable shops around there that make certified roll cages they probably have chromoly piping and someone that knows how to weld. That kind of work though I'm sure will be well over $2.5 since a typical chromoly cage is about $300 a point and then you need all the hardware.

:dsm:

True that....I know that $2,500 is worth it, and I dont mind paying for it....but just trying to shop around on something similar, with a slight lower price :D

I guess if I want it, I have to bite it

But at least, I was hoping to find someone that makes the control arms (pictured)

What you are asking is really apples to oranges. Costs aren't even close to each other.
Also the Magnus unit does not have sway bar mounting points on the lower lateral arms. If it comes raw like pictured then your still going to have to pay to have it coated. If your not ripping diffs out of your car I would not waste your money. It's super neat but not needed by 99% of people. What are you doing with the car?

Kevin

PS: There is a whole thread on how to build lower arms like that that bolt on the stock crossmember.

Look here http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/handling-tech/320763-spherical-bearings-2g.html

why are you considering this subframe thats really for high HP 8 second cars

Nothing wrong with having too much, plus i want a little more adjustment from my suspension, and the extra bracing.

I might not go 8 seconds, but will try to go as far as I possibly can

What you are asking is really apples to oranges. Costs aren't even close to each other.
Also the Magnus unit does not have sway bar mounting points on the lower lateral arms. If it comes raw like pictured then your still going to have to pay to have it coated. If your not ripping diffs out of your car I would not waste your money. It's super neat but not needed by 99% of people. What are you doing with the car?

Kevin

PS: There is a whole thread on how to build lower arms like that that bolt on the stock crossmember.

Look here http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/handling-tech/320763-spherical-bearings-2g.html

I started restoring a 2g Talon AWD last year.....changed plans, and going towards a drag car mainly.

I have the car completely dismantled, engine out, tranny out, suspension out, diff out....basically everything out. All I have in tact is freshly painted shell with gutted interior.

Like I said before, Im looking for extra adjustment, and more bracing for my diff.
I have the time and money to get this car where I want it, so its not like "this is my daily driver, and I cant afford down time".

Oh, and thanks for the link greengoblin :thumb:

Last edited:
you also have the option to have a solid rear end installed. then you wouldnt have to worry about buying really pricey axles and hubs and a rear diff too. if you are heading more toward drag only this may be a better route. The magnus rear end is a nice piece (I have one but it is not installed yet) They also make 2 different styles, if you look at there pics on their web page they have pics of both. I have been considering selling and going a different route. PM me if you want. thanks

I just weighed my AWD rear subframe the other night and its 50 lbs! That's a heavy sucker. Magnus's website says it saves 25 lbs over the stock frame which brings the final weight to 25 lbs. It's definately a nice piece but $2500 seems like a ridiculous price to pay. They make mustang tubular k-members for around $500 which is very reasonable. I understand that the mustang is far more popular than a DSM and Magnus is pretty much the only one making these giving them a monopoly on the market but still. I know we will never have enough support to start making tubular k-members for the DSM at a way better price but I mostly just wanted to post the weight savings you get with one.

You are basically buying a custom part with the magnus made by a skilled welder. Being able to sell thousands of them makes a huge difference. I think the 25lb one is the heaver of the two.

Im working with a shop locally to try and get them to start making rear subframes. I DO NOT have pricing or timeline yet. Just trying to see how many people are seriously interrested and likely to buy assuming a quality piece at a fair price. I dont have pricing or timeline yet. The project will not be started without enough intrest.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back