The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2g Random Misfire Code (no 6bolt)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PieEyedPiper

DSM Wiseman
Nov 13, 2004
North Bay Area, California
I've made this new thread because I've narrowed my problem down some and the old thread was cluttered.

Problem: Code P0300, (i think?) Random Multiple Cylinder Misfire. When I'm on the HWY, keeping the RPM's steady, my car will eventually throw this CEL and the car will vibrate and stutter like mad.

Temporary Solution: While cruising at around 70-80mph, and I encounter this phenomenon, I take the car out of gear, shut it off, allow the RPM's to hit zero, restart the car, put it back in 5th and carry on my merry way.
This is NOT desireable.

I have new plugs, NGK BPR6ES gapped at .028, I've cleaned my Accel Thundersport wires and attempted to test my coil pack.
I have this diagram, shown to me by another helpful DSMTuners member, http://dsmtuners.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1088544507

I cannot really make sense of it. Too many shadowed testing positions etc.

Plus I can only find two things to test on the coilpack.
The PDOB (poorly drawn offensive bitmap) should hopefully show up somehwere in this thread.
attachment.php

I get ~20Kohm in my voltmeter by testing the two ports on each coil pack. Both packs yield identical results. I cannot find a third port to test.

The car otherwise is running as strong as ever @ 15 PSI with a 1g bov and a MBC connected at the bov line.

Now all I need is some more direction.
Thanks!

Yes, you need to try another cas :)
Good way to find an exhaust leak is run some seafoam/mopar combustion chamber cleaner through the car.

I also have some more information. Many people with the 7bolt Random Misfire experience this on the HWY at 3000-3400 RPM.

I just had this happen for the first time yesterday. 99GSX 113K miles with new plugs and wires so I hope its not them. I just cleared the code and checked some connections and will see if it happens again...

if you want to disable this misfire code, buy dsmlink and disable the code. its the a very good tuning software as well.

Unfourtunately I lack the funds for that at the moment but do plan on it soon... :(

I'm just going to check all I can until then. Plugs and wires are new but I just pulled them to make sure and they are all are good. I'm going to take the CAS appart now. I bet a new fuel filter is in order seeing as its still on the stock one. :coy:

I didn`t look at your mods list, does the car have a lightened flywheel? I`ve heard of the lightweight flywheels causing intermittent misfire codes, due to the reduction of crankshaft harmonics resulting from the light flywheel . . . Just a thought -

I didn`t look at your mods list, does the car have a lightened flywheel? I`ve heard of the lightweight flywheels causing intermittent misfire codes, due to the reduction of crankshaft harmonics resulting from the light flywheel . . . Just a thought -
Life is like a dog sled team; if you`re not the lead dog, the scenery never changes.:cool:

Life is like a dog sled team; if you`re not the lead dog, the scenery never changes.:cool:

LOL, yep streetlight but its been on there for over 1K of "CEL free" miles. I've dumped the like 10cc's of oil out of the CAS now too, so next freeway journey of constant 3kish rpms should let me know if that coulda been it.

I have been dealing with this for about two years. Im getting p0304. I have all new sensors any plug that need replaced timing belt and all component . Crank sensor trigger plate the sensor the knock sensor the cas. Ive changed everything even got a new ecu with link, still the same problem new injectors and seals no boost oil or exhaust leaks. Theres no reason i can't pin it down, im ready to buy an oem harness for six hundred dollars.

I have been dealing with this for about two years. Im getting p0304. I have all new sensors any plug that need replaced timing belt and all component . Crank sensor trigger plate the sensor the knock sensor the cas. Ive changed everything even got a new ecu with link, still the same problem new injectors and seals no boost oil or exhaust leaks. Theres no reason i can't pin it down, im ready to buy an oem harness for six hundred dollars.

Have you replaced or swapped wires around? Have you changed the cool pack on the offending side? What plugs are you using?

I would not suspect cas/cps/flywheel issues for a cylinder 4 misfire. I might also expect to have 2 cylinder misfires if one of the coils is bad but I won't make a strong statement regarding such. It might be possible. Sorry for your troubles - I know the pain.

Have you replaced or swapped wires around? Have you changed the cool pack on the offending side? What plugs are you using? I would not suspect cas/cps/flywheel issues for a cylinder 4 misfire. I might also expect to have 2 cylinder misfires if one of the coils is bad but I won't make a strong statement regarding such. It might be possible. Sorry for your troubles - I know the pain.

Sorry for typos. Phone won't let me edit. "Cool pack" sounds interesting.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back