The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Power steering belt issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREAT SUCCESS!!!!
Swapping out the bracket that bolts up to the block fixed all my issues. It looks almost identical, but sits out by about 1"
I wrote a tech article on it, if it's approved, I'll post it here as well.

WOOHOO!

Advance Auto lists a 27.4" belt, I had to take it back and get a 27" belt recently when I put a belt back on due to not being able to drive the car 1 handed without it.

Just bought a oem p/s belt and its to long. Should I order the 6 bolt one instead, even though my car is a 7 bolt.

Im having a similar problem, except my belt is too short. But I can already tell it's the bracket that bolts up to the block just by comparing my pic to yours. I've tried 3 different belts and still can't find the right length. so I guess its time to look for the right bracket.:banghead:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Shredwin that belt in that pic will work just hold the belt on like in that pic and spin the pulley on the power steering pump

Keep going bigger until you find the right one. The parts store should have them in 1/2 in increments.

Shredwin that belt in that pic will work just hold the belt on like in that pic and spin the pulley on the power steering pump

OMG...I spent sooo long trying to figure out if I did something wrong because the belt wouldn't slip on. I did it once before and I know I did something like that, but I didn't spin the pulley enough.

Assembling my block today & I noticed the power steering pump belt was loose. Too loose. I ended up searching (came across this thread) and I checked my spare block, swapped the other bracket that says "91" on it. The one that didn't have tension was marked 92.

:thumb:

Hope this helps people in the future. I dread waiting for parts!!

Attachments

• 100MEDIA_IMAG0141.jpg
    100MEDIA_IMAG0141.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 133

I did try that but that didn't really work, and I didn't want to snap the belt prying really hard. What I did was buy used brackets ( the one that bolts up to the block and the power steering bracket) and that worked for me, they came off a 96 GST.

Belt installed

Update to a very old thread I started. Car had been sitting for a while so it was still using the old belt that it came with.

If you have a "JDM" PS bracket and you don't want to find another original bracket then go with a 4Pk675 belt. I ordered from here https://beltzoom.com fits perfectly.
Dealing with this mess right now..... ordered a 95-99 PS bracket off of eBay and come to find out it's a JDM bracket "92". Just ordered 2 of the above belts you posted. Hopefully this works as I'm kicking myself for losing my original 2g bracket...

Thank you for figuring out a solution because your post get me going finally I hope

Most of the time its just the bracket is really bent up badly
Agreed, you beat me too it. I actually have a bent bracket too that I've been trying to bend right, but my pulley seems to sit crooked when the belt is installed and gives a few seconds of cold morning squeaks. I might have to locate a new one too. Or the shaft of the pump has been literally bent at an angle. I have the bracket looking pretty straight now..

But ya good call chrysler kid, those of you going through p/s belts, make sure to visually look at the alignment of the pulley in relation to the others. The brackets do bend easy on these cars making the belt ride at an angle, thus noise.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back