The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G pistons in a 1G block!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phsyco87

Probationary Member
Jun 17, 2011
greenwood, Indiana
Been reading that it's better to use 2G pistons and rods on/in a 6 bolt motor. My Question is, is this true? Can i use 2G pistons and rods on a 6 bolt crank in a 1G block with a 1G head? And is it that much of a difference?

Thank you

I run 2g stock pistons on 1g rods. As stated above, the 2g pistons have a 8:5:1 compression where as 1g pistons have 7:8:1 compression. 1g rods are stronger/more durable than 2g rods.

Been reading that it's better to use 2G pistons and rods on/in a 6 bolt motor. My Question is, is this true? Can i use 2G pistons and rods on a 6 bolt crank in a 1G block with a 1G head? And is it that much of a difference?

Thank you

As stated already, the 2g piston and 1g rod combo brings compression up and has the stronger 1g rods. But, if your goal is 400whp or less the 7 bolt rods will be strong enough and they are lighter so you'll have les rotational weight. People have pushed 7 bolt rods well over 500whp.

^Yup. And to further clarify, it's 6-bolt rods vs. 7-bolt rods, not 1G vs. 2G, as the 1G 7-bolt cars had the same slimmer rods as the 2G turbo models.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back